Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Bottoms Fishing Report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Little Bottoms Fishing Report

Well, PeteCz, Steve (Pete's B-I-L) and I went up to Little Bottoms today as advertised. Nice little walk of 2.9 miles in so that we could skip all the spots on lower Abrams where the fishing was slow. No rain until we geared up at Campground 17 to start fishing. (BTW, Campground 17 had been closed for bear activity until today, making this an even more attractive destination.) From the beginning, we were seeing Quill Gordons all over - in the beginning, tiny ones (~#20) but around 2:00 they really came out and I saw a couple that were at least #12. The area and water were really pretty, water temp was 48-49 degrees and the rain was steady but never really poured.

We're pretty sure that Pete may have caught the state record sucker but I was too far upstream to be able to get back to take a picture of it. Except for the sucker, nymphs were pretty much a bust and we started trying dries (QG and PA) in the last hour or so - actually started getting some nibbles at that point. In the end, we got a year's supply of dinks but no trout. Pete didn't mention until later that he's been up there four times now and still hasn't caught a trout. Guess he wanted some witnesses. Stopped raining on the way back out (oddly enough, another 2.9 miles) until we stopped and took off our rain jackets - started up again after we got back on the trail.

Lots of good casting practice, a great time on the stream and a heck of a lot of fun for three guys. A nearly perfect day except for the no fish part. Can't wait till next weekend.
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

Default No State Record

Charlie, upon further research it turns out I landed a white sucker. While I was nearly ashamed of catching it and somewhat hesitant to even touch the dang thing, it appears that they are relatively common in many parts of the country (although this was my first). They can grow 12-20" and 2-4lbs. Mine was at the lower edge of that range (13-14" maybe?) and weighed about 2lbs. He/she put up a nice fight, but looked rather forlorn after I had him to hand, no wait...that's how they always look....

For those of you who might be interested in stalking suckers, here is some more info:
    http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/Art...ite_sucker.htm

If that isn't enough info for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catostomus_commersoni

Pete,

Thanks to you and Steve for a fun day in the Smokies. Fish or no fish, I had a really great time. Looking forward to the next time

(BTW, I highlighted Little Bottoms in red on your spreadsheet.)
    Charlie B

bartonca@hotmail.com

Default No more Little Bottoms for me...

It was great hiking 6 miles with you all, but not finding any fish for a fourth time up, would qualify as a strikeout...

There are too many other places to catch fish...

Steve and I made it up to Tremont this morning for about 2 hrs before it started pouring and lightning. We managed to catch a few small rainbows on Copper Johns and a gray foam bodied PA. Nothing hatching, but much more fish activity than yesterday...

Next Adventure: ?

Some of those sucker fish can get quite large. A buddy of mine caught this sucker about 4 miles up deep creek from the trailhead. We spotted what we thought were two big browns and he was hooked up pretty quickly while I was trying to get to my camera. Still a nice 18" fish no matter the species.

Default Yo, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post

Next Adventure: ?
    How about:
    2) Campsite 60 on Deep Creek Trail. It's an easier 2.5 mile hike from Deep Creek Rd on Deep Creek.
    Charlie B

bartonca@hotmail.com

Default When?

Deep Creek sounds like an excellent idea.

When? Friday 3/21 looks good right now, 19.4 for the high temp...the water should be closing in on 12 degrees, by then...

BTW, Work has been slow so far this year, but the first day I take off to go fishing(this past Friday), two new opportunities popped up and I had urgent emails waiting for me that evening...perhaps I need to go fishing more often. Even if I don't catch fish (trout, that is) I get new business coming in the door...I do need to go fishing more often...

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
    Well, PeteCz, Steve (Pete's B-I-L) and I went up to Little Bottoms today as advertised. Nice little walk of 2.9 miles in so that we could skip all the spots on lower Abrams where the fishing was slow. No rain until we geared up at Campground 17 to start fishing. (BTW, Campground 17 had been closed for bear activity until today, making this an even more attractive destination.) From the beginning, we were seeing Quill Gordons all over - in the beginning, tiny ones (~#20) but around 2:00 they really came out and I saw a couple that were at least #12. The area and water were really pretty, water temp was 48-49 degrees and the rain was steady but never really poured.

We're pretty sure that Pete may have caught the state record sucker but I was too far upstream to be able to get back to take a picture of it. Except for the sucker, nymphs were pretty much a bust and we started trying dries (QG and PA) in the last hour or so - actually started getting some nibbles at that point. In the end, we got a year's supply of dinks but no trout. Pete didn't mention until later that he's been up there four times now and still hasn't caught a trout. Guess he wanted some witnesses. Stopped raining on the way back out (oddly enough, another 2.9 miles) until we stopped and took off our rain jackets - started up again after we got back on the trail.

Lots of good casting practice, a great time on the stream and a heck of a lot of fun for three guys. A nearly perfect day except for the no fish part. Can't wait till next weekend.

I caught an 8" brown on a crazy prince (?) today. O.k. it was something "prince" that would indicate wild colors/activity up at the end of the road at Treemont.

DG

Alright...How do I load a photo without a link?