Thread: Why no fishing after dark?

Default Why no fishing after dark?

Why no fishing after dark?

Just got to wondering about this. Any one have a clue?

rescue efforts are too expensive, danger to fisherpersons is too great, and how are ya gonna see your fly by star light?
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

bodily harm, in my own mind, would be well worth the giant hatches that take place at night. many times as i drove home from fishing the little along the little river road i have noticed flies everywhere at night. Caddis, giant stonesm even mayflies... in the summer the hatch action is def at night...

Quote Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
    rescue efforts are too expensive, danger to fisherpersons is too great, and how are ya gonna see your fly by star light?
    Folks fly fish at night routinely. You learn to feel where the line and fly are, you learn to hear fouled lines & leaders, and you untangle using a small light. For the most part "no night fishing" closures are designed to aid effective enforcement or are a park security issue, not a physical fishing issue (i.e. casting at night) or fishing safety issue.

Default Night Fisher

Not all waters are closed at night. Try to find a river and try to find a moth immiation. It's suposed to be a good night fly for trout.

Fishing at night is a big thing at certain times in Michigan. The get some monster Hex hatches at night along the Au Sable in the summer and the big fish go crazy.

"..closures are designed to aid effective enforcement or are a park security issue.."

I'll wager this might be the one.

Default If I were to makes one guess...

my guess would be one word, "LIABILITY". In other words in our current society where it isn't uncommon for folks to file obscenely ridiculous suits in an effort to profit at the expense of others, such a practise as allowing folks to fish at night would be ripe for the picking.

Mike
    "Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton

I would agree that it is safety issue more than anything. But wouldn't it be thrill to throw a streamer in a pool under the moonlight chasing those big browns that come out to play at night!

Craig