Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Advice

Man, dealing with snakes and bears is one thing but now we have to deal with bad singers all over the woods. This may be getting out of hand.

I just told my wife that I was going to have to get some ear plugs to add to my fly fishing stuff. I really liked this wife, too.......
    David

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Default Slow Fishing Partner

I am 43 and in reasonably good shape. My fishing partner is 66 or 67, bad knees and senile. I always make sure he carries the food. I haven't had any problems with bears...
    Chris McCarthy

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    - Henry David Thoreau

Bears,

never had a problem with them, coons, now that is a bear of a different color, I don't care how high, how far between trees you hang your pack, if you spend enough time in the backcountry you will get a backpack devoured. I got a fine one I can show you Happened in 1996 back near Bone Valley area on Hazel Creek.

Default Ouch!

Chris, that's just cold! Effective but cold.

Pete, don't be getting any ideas; you gotta carry your own food, man. And I'm definitely hitting the treadmill - don't want to be the designated bear bait.
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

Here is some good advice about bears:

http://crunks.com/uploads/images/neat-pictures/2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Elk riverrat View Post
    Bears,

never had a problem with them, coons, now that is a bear of a different color, I don't care how high, how far between trees you hang your pack, if you spend enough time in the backcountry you will get a backpack devoured. I got a fine one I can show you Happened in 1996 back near Bone Valley area on Hazel Creek.

Being from the South, I always bring a "Coon Huntin' Monkey" with me (Jerry Clower reference).

Quote Originally Posted by ccmmcc View Post
    I am 43 and in reasonably good shape. My fishing partner is 66 or 67, bad knees and senile. I always make sure he carries the food. I haven't had any problems with bears...

A little left over bacon grease always works wonders...It's also great when mother in laws are along for the trip!

Quote Originally Posted by ccmmcc View Post
    that is kind of what i do.im also 43 and my dad is 68.im taking him into cataloochee april 1st.i figure i can out run him. always helps to have a model T pulling up the rear.

Default Opps!

My bad, thought this thread read, "BEER" don't know if I can help on "BEAR matters!

Cheers!
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermansfly View Post
    My bad, thought this thread read, "BEER" don't know if I can help on "BEAR matters!

Cheers!
    Brett

you could give them a shot of some honeydew vine water and commence them to do the "bear dance". Two sniffs, a snort, a fly, a turn and a grunt; and it was so simple like the jitterbug it plumb evaded me.

of course, I'm not sure Jimmy Buffett has had much experiences with bears.

But seriously, I'd say carry a can of bear spray with you. Probably your best bet, but then again, you probably don't have to worry.
    "I've got to stop wishin, I've got to go fishin"