did somebody say beer?
did somebody say beer?
what's "beer spray?" and who do you spray it on?
"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is a link to counter assault's website.
here ya go
I ran into one at the first small creek above the horse camp in Cataloochee. Palmer Creek had risen a foot and gotten murky while I was walking in, and after a trip over I was going to wet my fly, I took off up that little creek and caught 2 in 2 holes. The third hole I wasn't paying any attention and when I set the hook on a brook, much to my surprise the log on the creek bank I thought I had saw happened to jump up and run off on my hook set. It was about a 300 pound black bear and it took off absolutely flying, knocking down a small downed tree. I, in the other direction, wsa making just as good time back to th trail. The two guys I was with thought I was over in the woods throwing rocks, until they saw me sprinting down the trail white faced. 2 feet is the closest I have ever been, and I don't plan on ever being that close again.
I have never had any problems with bears. I have seen a group of tourons (moronic tourists) trying to approach one to feed it and take pictures.
I prefer a hearty lager from Barleys in the Old City for my beer spray.
I went to a seminar in Cody, WY on how to live with bears, loins and wolves. I also have a life long friend who teaches bear avoidance for Northwestern Energy, the dominant power company in Montana.
First of all you don't have to out run your partner, you just have to knock them down or trip them. I'm sure that that 66 year old has many tricks up his sleeve.
With weapons there is a 50 % success with Griz bear attacks. With bear strength pepper spray it is 90 %. I like the odds with spray 10 % chance of being eaten vs. 50 % chance of being eaten.
I did see severral videos and that spray really works. Aim for the face. It works on mucous membranes and is 10 ctimes stronger than mace. It uoght to take care of all those demented cfrazed hikers too. No need to pack heat.
Keep the spray handy. It is no good inside the pack or in the vest.
The lead instructor said that he has had to use his spray twice in his 20 plus years of backcounrty travel. (From the map of 2007 bear instances, that would be any where 2 miles west of cody and beyond. There is some really good Cutthrout fishing there. It figures.
Also if you have bear spray then get that neat plactic jar to contain it. The instructor had a really neat story about a gamewarden that had oine go off in his vehicle. The can was set off by the high heat generated from the summer and rolled up windows.
The stuff also works on the other critters. If you are worrid that pack the bear spray in atleast 9 oz volumes and makes sure you know which way the wind is blowing.
There's a show that's been airing this week on the National Geographic channel all about bears -- Polar bears, Grizzly bears and Black bears. If I remember the statistics correctly, a bear's sense of smell is something like a hundred times more acute than a dog's (which I think they said is 7 times more acute than humans... whatever the numbers, a bear's sense of smell is it's greatest asset). It stands to reason that Bear Spray would be far more effective than just about anything else.
The show tells a story of two guys who got surprised by an aggressive Grizzly and tried to climb a tree to get away from it. In his panic trying to get away, one guy drops his vest which had pepper spray in it. The bear followed him up the tree and dragged him down. The guy falls about 30 feet, gets up and makes a run for his vest. He gets the pepper spray out and gives the bear a full-face shot of the stuff then turns and heads up another tree. He said the bear dropped to the ground at the base of the tree and lay there in a heap. The guy thought he'd killed the bear and he just watched it for a while. The bear finally got up, shook his head, snorted like he was trying to clear his sinuses, and ambled off without looking back for either of the two guys.
Cool show... very informative.
have seen several bears in the park---none were aggresive---food habituated bears are the ones that will get you--