Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: translucent green weenie

buckeye...don't you worry...I am not forgetting those flies are on Byron's desk, no sir.

Especially since a friend sent me some flies today and specifically told me NOT to share them with Byron...and I promised Byron that I would share.

They look great! Thank you so much!

Paula

Byron, I seen that I made the fishing report, thank you......I was hooting and hollaring and Abby thought I had gotten a hang nail stuck on the keyboard....I told her that I have finally arrived, I got a mention on the fishing report....she didn't understand the right of passage I guess since she made this face but her eyes were rolling also

Byron and Paula, you are so welcome! I hope to hear that they are a good version of the original and we could call them the Buckeye Green Weenie and the Buckeye Barbie.......

Seriously, let me know if you get a chance to use them and if they are worth tying. I am experimenting with a few different ways to tye them to make it easier. I am also keeping any eye out for a smaller diameter of the same type of procduct, this is very hard to work with. I plan on bringing some down with Abby and I in 3-4 weeks to try ourselves. If you see Kevin Thomas in the store have him get hold of me so I can get him some to try.......

God Bless and Good Fishing

bob

ps...Paula, if Byron doesn't share I will send you a private stash. Does he play well with others? ? ?
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

ps...Paula, if Byron doesn't share I will send you a private stash. Does he play well with others? ? ?
    HAHA! Actually, he does. He was teasing...and so was I. He'll share...or I will report back!

I am liking the sound of the buckeye barbie! Buckeyes are good luck, dontcha know! And a barbie is always an asset!

Paula

Hey Buckeye,

I like the translucent green weenie. You can see the hook inside. Did you ever try wrapping the shank with gold or silver mylar? I bet that would add a glow. You could call that the "glow weenie". That might just work....hmm?

Default Gooey Weenie

Nice fly! When will we see the first inch worms in the park? Inch worms are also great on tail waters. I think IRFishing had recent success with a green weenie on the Elk. How about a San Juan worm with this stringy goo in red?

it is a fairly tight fit on the hook with the tubing, I was able to wrap the hook shank with red ultra wire then tie the green weenie......you won't believe the effects....gotta go to work for a bit, but will post a shot when I get home.....I think you may like it also

bob

If you can find this stuff in the .5mm size, it makes great midges. I've been tying them for some time in size 20 with a silver foil base... very flashy! I've also tried some alternating thread combinations underneath. Don't know how they work, but a red/black thread combo under a clear tube is pretty cool. You get some interesting segmentation looks. This stuff also has some interesting light reflection properties. Underwater, they seem to glow from within. Also, since it is a stretchy material, if you make the first few wraps under tension and then gradually release the tension, you can quickly build a really nice taper on a midge.

There's an article in one of my mags that started me on these and I'll see if I can find a link. And if I can borrow my son's camera I'll see about posting some pics. My macro just doesn't handle much below size 16...

Gerry

Fly Tyer (spring 2008 issue) has the article that got me to try this....they were tying what they call jelly midges.....

bob

ok.....here it is , kinda rushed it as just got off work and have to head in to choir practice for Easter Sunday.....anyways, tied red ultra wire under the tubing.....whatcha think, going too far or give it a try (they are kinda a pain to tye)

bob

Bob-
    I think that fly looks pretty sharp. You should put it in a glass of water and see what kind of reflections you get. Keep up the good work.
    -Ben