Thread: Elk Hair Caddis.....? ?

Question Elk Hair Caddis.....? ?

does anyone tye the elk hair caddis with peacock hearl for the body and if so, does it fish well.......

I've started tying flies for Abby and My trip in 3 weeks and was playing around with this pattern, It looks good......but then again, I'm not a fish

bob

never mind the "does anyone" part as I just saw one in the online catalog.....how does it fish?
    Last edited by buckeyetrouter; 04-05-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: seen one in online catalog
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

I'll let you know tomorrow, hopefully. I plan on fishing the watauga pretty hard if nothing comes up. I'll tie a few tonight and fish dry/dropper with them tomorrow.

Ben
    "I've got to stop wishin, I've got to go fishin"

Default caddis

buckeyetrouter, Several years ago I tied a no hackle elk hair caddis with a peacock body. It fished very well on Big Spring Creek in Montana. I'm sure I have fished it in East TN, but have no recollection of it.

Question yes, but!

It depends on what size you are fishing and where...If your tying it up for the smokies, stick with smaller sizes and I've had good experiance with it in the heat of the summer.....18's with a peacock body and short wing imitate a great blow fly pattern!

I fished it today with a dropper. Unfortunately, I never got a single look at it. I also fished a black ehc with dubbing and hackle and had the same results. I only say three or four rises in about five hours today. Kinda strange. A few sporatic blue wings came off, and I saw exactly two caddisflies floating near the bank together at one point. That was it. Fish were feeding well on pheasant tails, blue wing nymps, and copper johns. Just nothing on top. I wouldnt discount the fly though, the fish just weren't looking up today.

by the way, I fished the watauga today. I didn't catch any large fish and most were silverly colored stockers, so I didn't risk getting my camera out. Sorry no pictures.

Ben
    "I've got to stop wishin, I've got to go fishin"