Thread: Guided Float Trip

Default Guided Float Trip

My fishing buddy and I are considering splurging on a float trip on either the South Holston or Clinch river. Anybody have any suggestions, opinions, comments or experiences? Thanks in advance for your info.
    Chris McCarthy

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    - Henry David Thoreau

Default SoHo

If it were me, I would do the SoHo. Starting to get into good sulfur season. Big and beautiful browns on dries, can't beat it. Hopefully in a couple of years, after the Clinch's slot limit has taken effect, it will be a toss-up.

Travs

Watauga isn't bad either...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I've only been on one float trip. We did the upper SoHo last year and I loved it. A lot of times, you have to pick your date and then the generation schedule will determine where you can go. As a previous post noted the Watauga ain't bad (as a matter of fact a lot of people prefer to float it). The advantage to coming to upper east TN is that you have that option. If there is water on the SoHo, then you can float it. But, if not you can float the Watauga.

Default Reccomendation

Quote Originally Posted by ccmmcc View Post
    My fishing buddy and I are considering splurging on a float trip on either the South Holston or Clinch river. Anybody have any suggestions, opinions, comments or experiences? Thanks in advance for your info.
    Contact Bruce Wankel or Bob Viers at their guide service
    Trestle & Tailrace Fly Fishing Inc.

My wife and I floated the SoHo with Bruce and had a great experience.
    http://www.troutanon.com rrainshaker at comcast dot netrainshaker at comcast dot net

You might want to consider the Caney too. It's been VERY good lately. We had a brown last weekend that was between 26 and 27 inches. Also lots of smaller fish and some Striper activity as well.

Default I normally don't say alot on here...but I'll say this much

Do yourself a favor and contact Steven Dark. He’s a young, energetic and extremely talented guide. I’ve known him personally for almost 3 years and have fished with him on numerous occasions and have even used his services as a guide for a “corporate outing” and I always leave JC having learned a new trick or technique. He’s very professional and knows both of those rivers up there like the back of his hand. As far as which river to fish…well personally I never pass up the opportunity to fish the mighty Watauga. The South Fork seems to be alittle more temperamental and she will not hesitate to put the most experienced fisher in his or her place. But you can’t really go wrong with either one this time of year. Drop me a line if you need Steven’s contact info…www.flyfishtennessee.com or dmoore@astecunderground.com

Default SoHo, Watauga, and more

South Holston=Ginger
    Watauga=Mary Ann
    I'll be wading the Clinch soon with Mrs. Howell, but she is rich.