I left the end of the road on the Middle Prong at 3:15 yesterday in a light drizzle, and selfishly thought to myself, "Good, maybe this rain will clear out some of these people toting tripods." By the time I got to the top of the cascades it was an absolute downpour. I stopped for a minute just to look over the view, and the sun burst through leaving me in the middle of a giant shaft of brilliant light, as the valley lit up and the rain continued. It was almost hot in the sun, if not for the still pouring rain. It was almost like God was saying, "Hey, check out what I can do." I didn't hike too far, and I started fishing at the rock tent - I don't know what it is really called, or if it even has a name, but there are two huge boulders on the left side of the trail that lean against each other forming a huge rock teepee that you can walk through. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about, it's hard to miss from the trail, and "rock tent" just kind of seems appropriate to me. Anyway I started there, and got some strikes on a yellow sally, but only if I let it get below the surface. I had put on a yellow adams and an olive elk hair caddis, having marginal success with each, again, as long as I fished them a little wet. Around 6:00 I noticed some very large light colored mayflies coming off the surface, so I reeled in and put on a large adams with a little yellow on the butt that I picked up a LRO a few weeks ago. I was no longer lip-hooking fish just below the surface. I now had to get out my leatherman to dig the fly out of the throats of a bunch of small rainbows that had tried to inhale my fly. One fish in particular nailed the fly at the bottom of a small pool. I set the hook and he rocketed out of the water about two feet above the surface (a remarkable feat for an 8 inch fish). Instead of landing back in the water that he jumped from, he went over a small waterfall and I saw my leader hang up on a rock. I a tried to free the line, I realized that the fish had passed through a hole formed by two rocks. I thought he was gone and I was just trying to get my fly back. I waded out into the water and felt for my leader disappearing into the whitewater. That's when I saw a tail flash out of the water on the other side of the rocks. That little bugger was still on! I tried to free my line unsuccsessfully from the sides of the rocks. Not knowing what else to do, I reached as far as I could over the current, clinging to boulder I was perched on. I was very close to going for a short ride downriver, but I felt the leader move freely upstream. I pulled the leader straight upstream, and found myself holding a short section of leader with a thoroughly confused fish still hanging on the other end. It was a very strange way to land a fish.
Anway, everything I've been reading in the fishing report was right on. Dry fly action picked up late afternoon / early evening, around 6:00 p.m. Most of the rainbows were small (I only caught two over 7 inches). Large Adams was the dry fly of choice. I used a #14, but I wish I had brought a #12 with me.