Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st fly tied

Default 1st fly tied

I have started the process of tying my own flies. The picture below is my 1st attempt to create a Little Yellow Stone Female. I didn't have anything brown so I just kind of made it up as I went just to see how everything fits together.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Default Good start

Brook Fan, Nothing wrong with that fly. You'll be tying Catskill drys in a couple of weeks.
    Monktrout

Default Fly Size

Thanks monktrout the 3rd and 4th fly looked even better. It' s funny how it just starts to make sense.

I started with #12's just so I could see what I was doing but now I want to put them in the water.
    Can I use a #12 inside the GSM or have I made my flies to big for a realistic chance to catch a trout?
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Way to go!! Your first fly looks 10 times better than mine did. Keep at it you will do just fine. Stay on a pattern until you feel good about your results then go to another that's good for the area.

Hal

Default Book or Website

Can anyone recommend a good book with diagrams or a website they use to learn a pattern. I intend on taking a class but until then I would really like to keep practicing. If it helps in deciding what book or website I'm intersted in learning to tie Yellow Sally's for my 1st fly. I really like the pattern of the Little Yellow Stone like the one on LRO's online store.
    Last edited by Brook Fan; 06-24-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: sp

Default Website

One of my favorite websites is www.charliesflybox.com which has step-by- step tutorials. Others are www.hipwader.com and http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Here is a thread that contains some of the ones listed above, plus a few more:
    http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=9581

troutflies.com is another good one...

Even after you become somewhat proficient, I would still take a class (like the LRO Intermediate Fly tying class). Its amazing the little tricks you can pick up for better looking flies and to help speed up your efforts.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

Thanks guys for the info.

I have alot of reading to do. I will take the class though if nothing else it sounds like a fun time.

hey Brook Fan......you can't go wrong taking the classes and learning from Walter and Brian....I've taken all three classes and loved them all. The good thing is you get to learn from two of the best and you get to pick thier brain on fishing the Smokies.....WOW , what a deal......

bob
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

I didn't see online any fly tying supplies on LRO's site. It's to far of a drive to get unless I'm fishing in the area can anyone recommend a good online shop for supplies. (feathers, thread, hooks, and such)