Thread: Hiwassee 6/22

Default Hiwassee 6/22

Yesterday, my 8 year old son and I floated the Hiwassee for a half-day with Mark Scarborough from Southeastern Anglers. I've floated the river with Mark before and had a great time, but he was incredible with my son yesterday. I've never used a guide with my kids before, but I highly recommend Mark if you are interested in doing so. I knew it was going to be a good day when we paddled out of Towee and the first question Mark asked my son was: "What happens when a duck flies upside down?" Answer: "It quacks up!" Har! dee! har! har!

We fished from Towee to the railroad bridge from about 2:00 to 7:00 or 7:30.
    I couldn't interest my son in the fly rod, so he fished with an ultralight outfit and spinner baits. He absolutely killed them. He caught and released at least 10 and maybe 15 fish. Mostly 8-10" rainbows.

I fished my new 5 weight, mostly with a black wooley bugger with a prince nymph dropper. I caught 5 or 6, but I was not fishing very hard. We fished dries for a short period, and I landed one later in the afternoon on an isonychia.

Yesterday was everything I had in mind when I booked the trip. We caught fish and had a great time. I'm floating with my 11 year old later in July, and he uses a fly rod. I'll certainly post a report. One of these days I'm going to take the time to learn how to post pictures. Then, watch out!

Robert

"What happens when a duck flies upside down?" Answer: "It quacks up!"
    HEE!

I'm so using that one!

Paula