Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caney Pictures

Default Caney Pictures

I had a good day on the Caney last Friday. I followed the falling water and caught several nice fish including these. They have done a good job with this stream.

Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Nice fish!! We took our first trip to the Caney a couple of weeks back and I love that river!

Default Nice Coloration

Don,
    Those are some very colorful fish, and the brookies there are so much more striking than those in the clinch.

Travis

Thumbs up Inspirational!

Wow! Those are great looking trout! I am brand new to this message board, and it looks like it is a really great site. My friend "blueraiderfan" told me about this place. I have been fly fishing for about 6 yrs but not any trout yet. Only large/small mouth bass, blue gills, bream, and a striper. lots of fun on the fly rod. I'm going to the caney fork this saturday for trout. I hope to take down my first one! Those pics are very inspirational. I would greatly appreciate any help and guidance to catching trout that anyone could share.Thanks alot in advance. Mark <::><

Welcome aboard, bigpopper!

Byron and I have been doing some bream and bass fishing lately on a popper. I'm hooked.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    When you say you "followed the falling water," do you mean as the dam was generating?
    If you're gonna float, you can float with TVA generating and the water up, or immediately following a generation period as the water is "falling" back to it's low flow.

Last time I was there, I had the opportunity to float with a friend and we chose to put in at the dam just as TVA was shutting down for the day and floated down tot Happy Hollow. Tremendous fishing! Fly of the day was a thread midge in your choice of black with red and a silver bead, red with black and a silver bead, grey and silver with a silver bead, and a Coats and Clark Summer Brown thread midge with no bead. Last fall I was introduced to the Caney by Plateau Angler (who I'm sure will chime in shortly) and we fished mostly olive thread midges with copper beads near the Kirby Road pull off... again, great fishing!

Gerry

Default Caney

BigPopper, Glad to have you on the board. You will enjoy the Caney and so is everyone else right now. The fish are there and so are the crowds, especially on the weekends. Walk a little and you can get some separation. The days around the 4th of July will be crowded. Generation schedule is also limited so that compresses everyone into a small window of opportunity. Remember that the river can take more than twice as long to fall than to rise. As far as fishing goes-the trouts are making it pretty easy. I have done well on midges as Gerry Romer mentioned. Woolly buggers and leech patterns have produced. I like swinging a bead head soft hackle. Bigger fish are always going to be difficult. Getting on the stream as water is falling is helpful, as the water goes low things get harder. Sure Knots, Monktrout

Nice pictures! The river is in excellent shape right now with lots of quality fish. Definitely a good time to try it out!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog