Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SoHo @ Night!

Cool SoHo @ Night!

The title says it all and here's proof in the pudding!

All I can say is awesome! Make sure you know the river before attempting floating it at night! We had dense fog w little to no visibility all night!

~Brett

Holy %^$*!!
    Brett, you are killing me! We didn't get to fish this weekend and I am officially jealous of those killer browns! Congrats! Thanks for the pics!

OMG! Now I am gonna drown myself trying to do it myself! VERY NICE PICS!

Brett,
    Those are some impressive browns. The big boys do come out at night.

Congrats on the fish. What weight rod were you using? I'm not going to ask which fly since they are all top secret!

Default Various replies!

FlyGirl-Yes, I too was redeemed three nights ago. It had been three weeks straight with no fishing! I don't think it was deserved, but I know I sure wanted to snag that pig!

Shaggy, it's of most importance that you really know that river before attempting it! Be super careful, and if you think you can manage the river try to not wear waders! If you wear waders, I'd buy one of those super boyant self inflating life jackets! The rewards of it paid dividends though!

Jeep-Ben, no secrets here brother! You know that! I've got your email, you'll be surprised at the fly! The biggest was caught on a five weight tip flex Helios (a bit stiff!!!) w/ a floating line. The other two were, some what, quickly landed on a seven wt mid flex Zero G with a rediculous 300gr sink tip! I wouldn't reccomend the 300gr to anyone!

Thanks again guys,
    ~Brett

I was thinking of floating other rivers at night. Did you catch any small ones? I take it streamers were fly of choice?

How can they be seen, for both casting and the fish feeding? I don't understand how you could see strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
    How can they be seen, for both casting and the fish feeding? I don't understand how you could see strikes.

I don't know what flies they were fishing, but they probably weren't too worried about seeing the strikes as much as trying not to have the rod ripped from there hands when those browns attacked their fly. Probably a streamer of some sort. Throw it towards the bank and strip back to you. You know when a fish hits a streamer.
    "I've got to stop wishin, I've got to go fishin"

I could see that, but what happens when the fish doesn't smash the **** out of the fly? Night fly fishing confuses me even further.

Chances are, they're gonna smash it, atleast thats what my experience with night fishing the soho have been. Hard hits. Even if they don't hit it like a train on the run, if you're stripping the streamer back to you fast, you'll notice when the fish grabs it and the fly stops. Also night time means you can just about throw leader shyness out the window and fish some big tippet. Gives you a chance to lay into a fish, something you'll probably need for those strong browns.
    "I've got to stop wishin, I've got to go fishin"