Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Bead Head

Default Getting a Bead Head

on a hook, what's the best way? Those stinkin' size 18-22's are killing me when I try and get a bead head on! I'm just using my fingers though.

Blue -- there's a set of tweezers made just for holding bead heads -- they have small indentations in the jaws that make it much easier to hold small beads. Before I got mine, I would vacuum up a bunch every time I cleaned the fly tying area (annually!). I bet LRO has them.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the info! Those things were driving me crazy! I will be up their way in a couple of weeks.

Dwayne

What size bead are you trying to put on size 18-22 hooks, and what brand of hooks and models are they? Most beads have a large and small opening. You should always thread the small opening onto the hook first. The larger counter sunk hole is made larger to helo get the bead past the bend. Also some model hook bends make it more difficult than others to get the bead into place.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Try pinching the barbs down first, it usually makes all the difference in the world.

I'm not having any trouble getting the bead head over the hook and in the proper manner, just holding on to the tiny little rascal! I think I'll buy those pliers.

Blue,

Try holding the bead in the palm of your hand and holding the hook close to the eye with tweezers.

Default Bead Handling

BlueRaiderFan, Those 22's are hard to handle. Here is what I do. Put the hook upside down in the vise. Put your bodkin point into the beads larger hole. You may want to roll them around on a cardboard box to corral them in and to flip the beads around. Then hold the bead with your index finger of your right hand. Line up the bodkin point with the hook point and slide the the bead on to the hook. I have found this to work even with 5/64 beads. That is the smallest bead I am aware of. Let me know if that works. Monktrout

try this. put the hook 90 degrees from it's original position in the vice, so the point is sticking straight up. then grab the bead in your fingers and slide it onto the hook point. Now this doesn't sound much different than just holding the hook and doing it, but I promise you, it makes all the difference in the world. I used to have a lot of trouble with beads too, but I just got done tying up some #20 midges, and with this method, didn't have the slightest problem.
    Trevor