Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Campsite #49: Cabin Flats

the first pic is of the mountain farm museum at oconoluftee......cabin flats is the name of the back country campsite
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

BlueRaiderFan,

Craig took the first picture at the Oconaluftee Vistor's Center before we got underway. Cabin Flats is the name of backcountry campsite #49, which sits on a flat area with fairly open woods situated right along upper Bradley Fork.
    Justin

Default Bears?

Craig,
    Did you see any? I haven't been to Cabin Flats since the 80's when I backpacked but didn't fish. We never went to that area without having a bear encounter. I still have a water bottle with teeth marks from an overnight visitor from back then. Cabin Flats was one of our favorite places to camp.

Dancing Bear,

I am the guy fishing in one of Craig's pictures. We did not see any bears, but we did see a fresh bear track on the Cabin Flats trail on the hike in. We also noticed a lot of hog sign near the campsite.
    Justin

Like justin said, we didn't see any, but supposedly that area is pretty bad for them. I believe justin told me that from that area all the way over into cataloochee and big creek was bad for bears because there are alot of trees that produce a significant amount of acorns and food for the bears so they tend to hang out in the area, makes sense.

I'm sure if we would have been looking hard enough we would have found a bear up in the woods spying down on us, but i tend not to look for things like that. I would bet that we walked by a few during the course of our trip.

About the hogs, we noticed small hog prints on the cabin flats trail and then an area near the campsite where they had rooted around the soil. It looked like someone had run a tiller around back there. I emailed the park service to let them know so maybe then will send a ranger back there to try and find them.

Craig, as usual great report and great pictures!!

The park does have a hog eradication project, so they would be interested in knowing where you saw the "tiller" signs.

As Sam said from another thread, just put a Honey handprint on you partner's back and you'll never have to worry about the bears...especially if you can out run him (Justin, that is...)

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

Ha! If it ever comes down to a foot race between Craig and me, I will just have to wave a white flag and pray the bear already has a full stomach.
    Justin

One of the gentleman eradicating is staying at the house at the bottom of the deep creek campground. I am sure he'll be out on them after they receive your email.
    Michael Corbin

Were there hogs reported in that area? We stayed there last november and again in may and didn't see any traces, but of course that's not to say they weren't there. Any word on whether or not he got any around deep creek?