Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Rainbows and a broken rod

Default Good Rainbows and a broken rod

I fished the east prong of the little river yesterday evening and ended up catching a few rainbows in the 8 - 11 in range. By far the best park average size wise that I have had so far. On a bad note I went to pick up my fly rod after changing a fly's and picked it up about a foot from the tip and it snapped right off. I guess I thought it wouldn't break that easily or maybe poor quality. It was a 7.5 foot 3wt Cabelas Three Forks rod so I didn't break the bank buying it. So now I am in the market for another 3wt I finished the day with my 5 wt but it was just not the same as fishing the 3wt which I have come to adore. So I am looking for a 3wt that is in the 8.5 to 9 foot range for under 200 dollars. Anybody got any suggestions? Oh and I caught the rainbows on 16 BHPT and a size 16 neversink caddis.
    Check out my site : http://pimpmyfish.wordpress.com/

<>< John Zimmerman

Default TFO Finesse

TFO Finesse 8'-9" 3 wt. That is one sweet rod and for $180 with a lifetime guarantee, can't beat it IMO. By the way, my fishing buddy has ran through a couple of those Cabela's rods. They all break near the tip just as you described...

Travis

I have the winston ascent 8' 3wt and love it. They say it is fast action but I think its more medium. The length is good for high sticking nymphs. I love this rod and use it not only in the park but on a local tailwater that is quite small and requires very light tippet. The rod casts very smooth for short to mid range casts. Hope this helps!

Default TFO Pro 8'6"

I have a TFO Pro 8'6" 3wt and love it. The three things I looked at when buying a new flyrod were feel, warranty and price. The TFO Pro worked on all three, but most importantly (for me), is that they have a lifetime no-fault warranty. If you break it, they fix it. No questions asked. Even if you run over it with a car, or have your brother-in-law step on it 2 hrs into the Horseshoe...

Whatever you buy, make sure you can live with the warranty.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

I'll second the TFO Professional series

Default Warranty?

Before you write this off as a loss, I'd suggest contacting Cabela's to see if they'll replace the tip section or make some other accomodation. Might cost you a few bucks but less than buying a new rod.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

I will also suggest the TFO Finesse.I have the 8'9 '' 4wt and it is a great rod for the mountains.Sometime I use my 7'11" Sage Light Line 4wt when I want a shorter rod but for the money the TFO is hard to beat.I like a little slower action for the smaller mountain streams and I find the Finesse Series comparable to my much more expensive Sage LL.

I ended up getting a 3wt TFO Professional Series 8'6" rod friday from LRO. Of course like a kid on Christmas morning I had to go play with my new toy right away! So I took it to the east prong of the litte river and picked up were I left off the other day when I broke my last rod. I did pretty good catching 5 decient rainbows and a 10in brown. The next day I got up early and floated the clinch with a buddy of mine. Of course I wanted to use my new rod. I ended up catch 3 rainbows that where in the release slot limit. A really good fight for the ol' 3 wt.

P.S. Thanks to the guys a LFO for the ice after that wasp sting.
    Check out my site : http://pimpmyfish.wordpress.com/

<>< John Zimmerman