Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Hate the Smokies

Default I Hate the Smokies

Do these fish need to eat? I mean, seriously. Skunked again. I went a mile up the trail head at Elkmont like everyone said and nothing. After four hours of fishing, I saw two trout and caught none. I either didn't go far enough or I just can't fish. I hate trout.

You've got to work on excuses. It's never the fisherman's fault. It's always moon phases, temperature, water level, time of day, wind velocity, el nino, la nina, or something along those lines whenever I have a not so productive trip.

Well...I am good at blaming others for my problems. I think these particular fish don't like me. It's personal at this point.

Default I'm with you Blue!!!!

There has to be some kinda early warning system in use it's like...

"PSSSST here comes that guy that stands in the creek waving a stick...pass the word"

What makes it even worse is when I realize that I've just been outsmarted by something with a brain the size of a BB

BRF - not trying to make a pitch for Hugh Hartsell, but what I have found is that in the mtn streams, if they won't hit a Smoky Mountain BlackBird softhackle, then they just are not hitting, period!

Phil

Default ???

Blackbird? Smoky? whats that all about?
    http://www.troutanon.com rrainshaker at comcast dot netrainshaker at comcast dot net

Default Smbbsh

Like I said, I'm not trying to advertise for Hugh on Byron's / Paula's / Daniel's board, but it is a Hugh Hartsell pattern that is especially effective in local mountain streams. Here's a pic of the pattern:

http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...%20hackles.htm

Haha i'm with you psnapp, if i can't catch anything the smbsh always bails me out and if i don't catch anything on that then there is just no fish in the streams!

Back to your original question, brf, fishing in the smokies during low water can be very difficult and trust me i'm sure you weren't the only one who didn't have any luck yesterday. During low water conditions the most important thing in my eyes is stealth. Since the water is low it also becomes very clear and the fish seem to go in hiding, so use whatever you can (trees, rocks, etc.) to hide behind and conceal your presence. Also, stay low to the water. I know it can play havoc on your knees and back sometimes but crouching down and not looking like a giant among men increase your odds. Also, what size leader were you using? While i don't think this plays as much of a factor as concealing your presence, 6x would be sufficient for elkmont. Hope this helps and don't give up, everybody has bad days.
    Last edited by mtnman2888; 07-18-2008 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
    Haha i'm with you psnapp, if i can't catch anything the smbsh always bails me out and if i don't catch anything on that then there is just no fish in the streams!

Back to your original question, brf, fishing in the smokies during low water can be very difficult and trust me i'm sure you weren't the only one who didn't have any luck yesterday. During low water conditions the most important thing in my eyes is stealth. Since the water is low it also becomes very clear and the fish seem to go in hiding, so use whatever you can (trees, rocks, etc.) to hide behind and conceal your presence. Also, stay low to the water. I know it can play havoc on your knees and back sometimes but crouching down and not looking like a giant among men increase your odds. Also, what size leader were you using? While i don't think this plays as much of a factor as concealing your presence, 6x would be sufficient for elkmont. Hope this helps and don't give up, everybody has bad days.

Yeah, I was in stealth mode. Used a 7X tippet too. Stinkin trout.

Hey BRF,

I'm not trying to start anything but last time I was fishing I heard a group of trout talking about you. They were saying not to take any type of fly from you.

Man I feel your pain. I hear people say the got 10 and every time I go I get 2 or 3.

Now I hate the smokies too
    David

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."