Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caney Brown

Default Caney Brown

I went fishing today and left wondering why I bother to make trips out west... The reason? A nice 22 inch Caney Fork brown caught after 20 minutes of sight fishing with small flies which is about as good as it gets...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Wink Sweeeeet!!!!

David,
    It is official now, you have exceeded your number of quality fish this year. If I were you I wouldn't even bother going back out again this year.

Seriously though, very nice fish. What a summer you are having. We need to get together sometime, maybe when I take that trip out to the Cumberland in October.

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
    I went fishing today and left wondering why I bother to make trips out west...
    That how I feel too! We have some of the best fishing in the country right here in our back yard. Trophy size trout and smallmouth fishing, big stripers, beautiful native brookies.
    Thats a great catch you have there David. Congrats!

Very nice fish you have there!

And to think I almost went to the Caney yesterday .

Instead, as you probably read, I went back up to the Lynn Camp gorge. I'm still looking for that brown you think you spotted...

So, next trip? The Caney for sure

Congrats again!!

nice catch, if you look to your left, somebody left a rod/treel in the water

Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    nice catch, if you look to your left, somebody left a rod/treel in the water

Grumpy
    Man, I wish I would have seen that. I need a new rod or two... Honestly, I really need to quit doing that. When I put new line on that reel this summer, I had to replace the backing because it had molded. After releasing that fish and going back to fishing, the reel was sounding funny (like it had grit in the drag) until I opened it and rinsed it thoroughly...definitely not a good thing...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

The Trout Zone Blog

Hey, if I'd pulled in a brown like that I probably would have forgotten all about my rod 'til I was halfway back to Maryville!

Grit?? What's that?

Rod?? What rod?

Now that I think about it, when Bill hall and I floated it, we pulled a little 5' spinning outfit out of about 4' of water right above Happy Hollow. Gave it to some kid fishing downstream... made his day!

It never ceases to amaze me the stuff I find on the bottom in tailwaters. I've seen all kinds of stuff, often in water that is too deep to reach and usually stuff that won't work so well after being in the water awhile (watches, etc). My favorite finds are always when I find a bunch of flies all stuck on some underwater object. Last year in Colorado I found probably 20 or so flies all tangled around one little branch and most were still in great shape. Not a bad way to find out some secret patterns...

By the way Gerry, I know where a few more browns like that live so sometime this fall give me a holler and we'll see if we can distract you from your rod...I need a few more and as long as you plan on leaving it in the water, I'll be glad to pick it up and take good care of it...

The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
    I know where a few more browns like that live...

So if I use mapquest, should i just type in my location and "Mr Brown?" ....I'm assuming anything that size must have it's own zip code...
    http://www.troutanon.com rrainshaker at comcast dot netrainshaker at comcast dot net

hey david is that down towards the bluffs ...nice brown there are some dandys in the caney ...wed i landed one at 18 inches just at dark on my adams dry i use as an indicator...