Thread: New Found Gap

Default New Found Gap

I was thinking of hiking the AT from the parking lot of the NFG down to a lower area of the park. Have any of you ever done this? I was thinking of an over nighter, but I don't want it to be super strenuous. I would think that it's all down hill, but I'm not certain. My sister and brither in law and nephew will be with me and I don't want to wear them out. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BRF

BRF, Its not all downhill and from NFG to Fontana is a bit over 37 miles. It's strenuous and it will take multiple days to complete, not simply an overnighter (unless you are really hard-core - like Craig).

Get a Trail Illustrated Map (#229) and look at the elevation changes along the AT through the Park, before making a final decision.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

Default Overnighter to Mt. Collins

BRF,
    Going to Clingman's and staying at Mt. Collins for the night is a good short trip. We used to do that trip often when we needed a quick high country fix. I agree with Pete on going all the way down. There is more climbing than you would think. The climbs are short but fairly steep. Going from Newfound Gap up to Cosby is a much easier hike and prettier in my opinion. We've gone both ways and prefer heading up the AT.
    Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info! Exactly what I was lookig for My sister has been hankerin' to do a little hiking and I think this will do the trick! Maybe there will be a chance for me to do a little fishin' some how.

From Fontaina to New Found you have to go over Thunderhead and that is a killer either way. Plan on at least 3 days for that section.

you can go out to sweat heiffer, down to kephart and stay at that site, then go back to dry sluice to bradley fork to smokemont
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

Quote Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
    you can go out to sweat heiffer, down to kephart and stay at that site, then go back to dry sluice to bradley fork to smokemont

O.k. I figured it out...That looks like a great alternative! Thanks for the advice