Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Couldn't box the waders up yet! Caney Fork 08-24-08

Default Gutshot!

Contrary to disbelief, all you really need to do is allow your boots, waders, boat, whatever else is in the water 24 to 48 hours of dry time! According to TWRA! However as for the boat...I always completely clean my boat out prior to the drive home! I pull the plugs and clean out the inside the second it hits the trailor, then it's off for a bath! I usually take it by anywhere that has a decent high pressure/soap car wash! When you pay that for a boat with no motor, you have to take care of it and prolong it's life! I plan on having mine for years to come!

As far as felt is concerned, I'm 100% with dad on a 10% bleach/water solution and dry time makes me feel a little better! Not to mention prolonging the life of your felt by taking them to a car wash and using the high pressure nossel on them! Dad's felt usually lasts 3 times longer than mine! Just from him keeping them clean!

Take care of your gear and you'll get every dime out of it, and you should as much as this hobby can cost!

~Brett

Gar, Carp, Buffalo, Stripe, Velocaraptors, Beavers, Catfish, Spoonbills, Bass to name a few, i've never seen a 5' bass though

Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermansfly View Post
    Did we talk with you yesterday? I think we said hello to eachother! Hopefully we'll get to know eachother soon enough...When I return from out west I will be floating that river quite often!

Question for you. What in that river would be about 5 to 6 ft long and approximately 15" in width, rather skinny for a 5 ft fish? It wasn't a stripe!? I don't think it was a gar! I freaked out when I saw it! Doug said Gar, but he didn't see it!

There are some mighty big fish in that river Grumpy! I personally can't wait on the kill! It's gonna be A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I still wanna float past Happy Hollow and see what the rest of it's like!

~Brett
    My dad and I floated up on a 4-5' paddlefish that almost exactly fits your description. We've seen 3 now, of all sizes. They're an endangered species. Gar don't really get fat unless it was an alligator gar. Here are some gar stats and identification methods:

Shortnose gar: Max. weight 5 lbs, up to 32"- short and narrow snout
    Longnose gar: Max. weight 50 lbs (TN record 38 lbs)- long snout
    Spotted gar: Max. weight 12 lbs, up to 44"- spotted
    Alligator gar: Max. weight 300 lbs, up to 10'- short and wide snout

Taken straight out of the 2008 Tennessee Fishing Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermansfly View Post
    Contrary to disbelief, all you really need to do is allow your boots, waders, boat, whatever else is in the water 24 to 48 hours of dry time! According to TWRA! However as for the boat...I always completely clean my boat out prior to the drive home! I pull the plugs and clean out the inside the second it hits the trailor, then it's off for a bath! I usually take it by anywhere that has a decent high pressure/soap car wash! When you pay that for a boat with no motor, you have to take care of it and prolong it's life! I plan on having mine for years to come!

As far as felt is concerned, I'm 100% with dad on a 10% bleach/water solution and dry time makes me feel a little better! Not to mention prolonging the life of your felt by taking them to a car wash and using the high pressure nossel on them! Dad's felt usually lasts 3 times longer than mine! Just from him keeping them clean!

Take care of your gear and you'll get every dime out of it, and you should as much as this hobby can cost!

~Brett
    Who is dad? I'm trying to make mind notes to whom everyone on this board is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Gar, Carp, Buffalo, Stripe, Velocaraptors, Beavers, Catfish, Spoonbills, Bass to name a few, i've never seen a 5' bass though

Grumpy
    Velociraptors? Hahah.

I would be dad...

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
    I would be dad...

Gerry
    Thought so, didn't wanna assume, because you know what assuming does...