Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattler on trail above Elkmont

Default Rattler on trail above Elkmont

Watch where you put your hands and feet above Elkmont. Last week, I fished above the campground on Little River. A rattler was spotted crossing or along the trail between the "bench" and the old turn around where the rock is in the trail several times during the week. He was probaby coming up to warm up- cool nights.They don't travel very far and I've seen them up there a few times years ago, so they are still there.

Remember 80-90% of snakes bites come from someone TRYING TO KILL OR CATCH A SNAKE. So be aware and LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Randall Sale
    Kytroutbum

I was up that way over the weekend and had my eyes peeled for them. I don't much like snakes, actually I avoid them if possible.
    Travis
    Last edited by Paula Begley; 08-28-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: removed link.

Found this fellow on thunderhead prong around sams creek in june. He was sunbathing on a rock in midday, kinda weird for june.

He's beautiful!!

found this guy near deep creek. he was probably 4ft. long

Last edited by bugg; 08-28-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Default 4 ' Rattler

Wow that looks like an old one, and about ready to shed? Awfully dark and lots o rattles.

Gives me the willys!

Thanks,
    John

The eyes on that last rattler look scaled over as if it were starting to shed. They have less vision and are more irritable.

Pit Vipers- Rattlers, Copperheads and Cottonmouths know you are there before they see you. They can sense your body heat. Rattlers and Copperheads normally don't want to mess with you, unless you are a threat to them. They will try to use their camoflauge to protect them. As a Grad student at Morehead State University, I found road killed copperheads on campus, in the very early fall mornings, and saw them around Eagle Lake. Most students didn't even know they were there.

The best action with them is no action. Most bites are the result of attempts to handle or kill them. Remember the snake does not need to be coiled to strike!! Along a frequented trail or stream, I might find a "long-long" pole and move them a ways away. There is a lot of mythology around snakes, so don't believe all you hear.

Randall Sale
    Kytroutbum

I've only had one snake be aggressive towad me and that was a cottonmouth. I always avoid them and give them the room they need and deserve. I rarely even see snakes, they are usually well hidden and while I'm watching where I step, I don't go looking for them.

This cottonmouth though chased me for about 15 feet or so. I saw it and stopped in my tracks and started moving away from the shore of the lake it saw me and charged.

Maybe it had a fish that it was getting ready to eat and was protecting it's kill. Anyway, that was the only time a snake ever showed aggression toward me.

Jeff

Default rattler and copper finds

greetings all. great pics of slippery serpents. i've been trying to find rattlers and coppers to photograph. unfortunately, i've had little luck or no functioning camera. good to see all these creepers are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
    greetings all. great pics of slippery serpents. i've been trying to find rattlers and coppers to photograph. unfortunately, i've had little luck or no functioning camera. good to see all these creepers are still around.
    Seems like the name fits in this case. just kidding