Thread: Article on Hogs in the Smokies

Good article, although I would have thought the numbers would be even higher. All over the South, hogs were raised in a semi "free-range" manner...I know down here, the farmers would turn them loose in the fall to forage in the bottomlands, then would come in after a few months, round them up, and slaughter them. There were always a few that would escape, and my dad always said that a pig will revert to a wild state faster than any animal. They sure can cause a lot of damage, whether it is to fragile mountain plants or the grass that holds levees together...mmm, now I have a craving for some bacon

Those Hog's are something there tough,smart,reproduce very fast and are very destructive.

The ones they were talking about that escaped in 1920's were true Russian strain boars. They were imported to a "hunting preserve" in Graham county and escaped soon after they came to NC. This is why the far western counties in NC have a hog season and the rest do not. Not saying the rest of the counties do not have hogs, but I guess it is because of the genetics. Regardless, the hogs definitely have an effect on the land.

I knew a guy who was hired to hunt them over the summer. He stayed in the house next to the Ranger Station in Deep Creek. He killed a pretty good number of them, but it seems like they would have given him a partner. He would go out for days at a time, by himself, and hunt these things. Just seems like kind of a dangerous thing to be doing by yourself...

Yeah i've heard of rangers that go out there and stay for a few days backpacking trying to get them. They were all decked out and even had nightvision gear.

I remember one time i was above elkmont and a ranger came down the trail who had been hunting hogs, he had what looked similar to an ar-15, not to mention a side arm, serious business.

this guy wasn't a ranger. he was a college student that got hired for like 6 months or so. but yeah, he had night vision, semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, the works. cool job but i'd want somebody to talk to after a while.

Man...Don't tell the Tennessee Vols fans that there are Hogs in the mountains of Tennessee. They don't even like it when they get in the backfield.

I saw a gator at Elkmont late yesterday. He said we were in for a whippin' this weekend. I asked him if he was going and he said yes. I said, "Good, more room for me up here."
    May you fish more than you wish for.

"...Imported European hogs escaped from a private hunting preserve in 1920 and have interbred with stray domestic swine. There are currently as many as 1,000 wild hogs in the Smokies."

That's a ridiculous understatement!

Heck, I've seen at least that many in just one day... the last time I went up Walker Camp Prong. And almost every one of 'em had a babe in a bandanna ridin' on the back. And, if that's not bad enough, they travel in packs... sometimes as many as 20 in a pack!! Scared the crap out of me goin' through the tunnel!

Gerry