Thread: Winter pool

Default Winter pool

What is the "desired" level for winter pool on the Clich? That portion of my brain is gone. Is it 975?
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

between 975 and 980.

Default thanks

And that was for NORRIS, not Clinch, but thankfully WW you knew what I was talking about.

Trying to get out there soon with my newly purchased FishCat.
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

Stay out of my river.

what is "winter pool"?

Winter pool is the elevation of the lake that TVA typically drops Norris Lake to during the winter, and the numbers are the elevation above sea level of the water level in the lake. Most are familiar with "Summer Pool" or "Full Pool", those are the maximum elevation of the water level.

Travis

Default Winter pool

975. The actual number of fish that can be caught during the winter when the water level at Norris is low and generation is slow because the lake level is low or at "winter pool". It coinsides with great midge hatches in Dec-Feb on sunny days when the water is low and radiant heating gets the bugs and trout moving.

Norris today @ 4pm is 998 and change.. so they have a little more work to do before you can safely float 8-10 hours without having to worry about being washed downstream. However.."subject to change without notice"
    http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakein...bmit=View+info

Disclaimer: Actual catch numbers will vary according to skill level of participants, length of leader, size of fly, fly presentation(stripped or vertical dead drift method approved), minimal number of cast, and of course little or no yahoos that proceed to interrupt you while on said river. Not responsible for frozen feet, near frost bite hands, nose, ears or other exposed objects on said river during said times. Caution should be used at all times to avoid holes in waders, or not having a change of clothing should one slip on rocks covered with material that appears to resemble 7 day old owl fecal matter and saturate one's clothes that may cause the above reaction. PS..Enjoy winter fishing!!
    Last edited by Flat Fly n; 09-24-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
    The actual number of fish that can be caught during the winter when the water level at Norris is low and generation is slow because the lake level is low or at "winter pool". It coinsides with great midge hatches in Dec-Feb on sunny days when the water is low and radiant heating gets the bugs and trout moving.

Norris today @ 4pm is 998 and change.. so they have a little more work to do before you can safely float 8-10 hours without having to worry about being washed downstream. However.."subject to change without notice"
    http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakein...bmit=View+info

Disclaimer: Actual catch numbers will vary according to skill level of participants, length of leader, size of fly, fly presentation(stripped or vertical dead drift method approved), minimal number of cast, and of course little or no yahoos that proceed to interrupt you while on said river. Not responsible for frozen feet, near frost bite hands, nose, ears or other exposed objects on said river during said times. Caution should be used at all times to avoid holes in waders, or not having a change of clothing should one slip on rocks covered with material that appear to resemble 7 day old owl fecal matter and saturate one's clothes that may cause the above reaction. PS..Enjoy winter fishing!!
    I always learn something on here thanks to you guys, it almost seems as if I knew nothing

And oh no, I'm holding you responsible.
    Trey Nichols- jato_jr@yahoo.com