Thread: so much water, so little time

Default so much water, so little time

everyones opinion counts! with only three days to fish on our trip what areas should we be concentrating on?? I sure would like to hear everyones opinion on the Tremont area, the Elkmont area, and i've even had some peoplemention the greenbriar area. We will be staying in Gatlinburg at the edge closest to the Sugarlands visitors center, if that makes any difference. Once again, I appreciate everyones opinions and input. THANKS!!

It really all depends on what type of water you like to fish? Let us know that. I prefer small streams but i know others who can't stand them.

Since we are fairly new to the sport, or should I say art, of fly fishing ,I would like to fish water that is not extremely tight. I'm up for fishing anywhere, because the way I look at it, I'm not going to get any better staying in my comfort zone. A location with a little casting room would be great, but i'll learn to live with a smaller, tighter area if it is a better area to fish. The way I look at it, my son and I have to learn new techniques sometime! Thanks for all the input!! I hope everyones next trip is the trip of a lifetime!! Good fishing to all!!

There are lots of options really. Generally, the fishing is better the farther you hike in and get away from the road and places that are easy to access. Maybe try road prong or roaring fork near gatlinburg, those are two good streams. There really are limitless options, but don't be afraid to venture up 441 to the nc side of the park. There are some real gems that often get overlooked compared to streams on the tn side.

Greenbriar or the WPLP are not what I would consider tight. These drainages are very steep, so they have relatively large stream beds that carry a lot of water during high water events. Roaring Fork is not real tight either, at least the lower portion. You will need to try a couple of these streams and see what works for you. Everyone has their preferences and skill sets. Water levels are low, so I would focus on the higher gradient streams since they remain fishable during these types of conditions.

Neal

I know Greenbriar, fill me in on WPLP. Thanks

Head south of Gatlinburg on Newfound Gap road. The stream follows the road, although it requires a bit of a hike down one of the Quiet Walkways to get to some portions of the stream. The WPLP ends at the Chimney Tops parking area.

Default Searching

Quote Originally Posted by flyguys View Post
    I know Greenbriar, fill me in on WPLP. Thanks
    Click on the search link above and enter WPLP and you'll get more info than you could ever want to know.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."