4 8.00%
  • Freshwater

4 8.00%
  • Saltwater

3 6.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your favorite species?

Quote Originally Posted by bigpopper View Post
    Ta - I have to agree with you on that one. My first saltwater fish on fly was a 9 in. Aber Jack and he fought like a 2lb largemouth. I just caught it last month and cant wait to hit the salt again. Although I still love to catch 5lb largemouths on "Big Poppers" , and Catching Tout are great fun as well.

I don't really care what I catch, as long as it fights and as long as I'm not wearing a really goofy straw hat when I catch it...

Default Without a lot of travel

I do like catching bluegills

Default I dig em all!

The thing I like the best about flyfishing is that the game changes so much depending on the species. To me that presents such a varied challenge, and it's cool because you pre-plan accordingly. Whether it's stalking a tailing red on some marsh flat, or pounding the banks with big buggs looking for some monster brown. I think I get more excited about the differing challenges than I do the actual targeting of one species over another. It is all great! Ain't that's why we do, what we do!

Default Yep its fun

Its great to try them all and when you are closer to lakes, impounds, and occasional small stream you learn to appreciate a range of fish!

Bluegill. They bring out the kid in me. They were the first for me on a fly rod. I live in trout country. Maybe the grass is greener! But I like them all no matter what species they are as long as they hit a fly.

Byron

My #1---Sanibel Island SNOOK in the mangroves.There's a reason for using 3 foot of 35 lb. flourocarbon bite tippet. Until I caught my first one 4 years ago, I thought Smallies and Big "bows were tops. Freshwater for fight- Landlocked Salmon below the Rip Dam on the WB of Penobscot. With a "3000 cfs treadmill" to train on , these jump higher and fight longer than any other fish I've caught. For pure beauty, the Fall colored Brookies in the pools with them! These are the reason I alternate every other year between Yellowstone area and Maine

Default Favorite(s)

Hard to pick just one. Since I do not live anywhere near their habitat, and only get to fish for them once a year on a western trip, favorite has to be West Slope Cutthroat. Got to the Turks this spring and caught bonefish; have to be near the top as well. Landlocked salmon in Maine, GSMNP Slam, ****, this could go on forever. Has to be a "moveable feast" of whatever is out there in the water in which I happen to be standing, waving a stick. Skip Watson

I would have to say my favorite trout is a Cutthroat--Westslope/Yellowstone/Lahotan/greenback and so on. When I was in Montana, I really thought these guys were awesome...I mean what other trout species is so anxious to grab a dry off of the surface. Great fish, gotta love 'em

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

I voted for Browns. My homewaters mainly produce bulk 'bows, but when I hook into a beautiful brown I feel all warm inside :-D

Thanks!

Adam
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>