Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: equipment update and upgrade?

I have a 30 year old Orvis Fullflex fiberglass rod....7 ft, 6wt...that I built....this was the last material Orvis used before they came out with their graphite rods.....I still fish with this rod on occasion and love the way it fishes....recently bought a 3 wt. Diamondglas that brings back the old ways.

it seems to mme that the only solution to my problem is to purchase several rods in different lengths, that way I would never be without the proper rod for the occasion at hand. Of course this went over like a pregnant pole vaulter when I mentioned this to my wife!! Maybe she would like some new fly fishing equipment?

IMHO, the best rod for in the park is the Superfine 7' for a 4wt.. with a CFO reel. I liked the new Superfine Wonderline best until I tried the Cortland Precision Platinum line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    IMHO, the best rod for in the park is the Superfine 7' for a 4wt.. with a CFO reel. I liked the new Superfine Wonderline best until I tried the Cortland Precision Platinum line.

Do you fish Mad River Bullwinkle? I am from Wapakoneta, Oh. Caught my first trout on the Mad around 35 yrs. ago.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by flyguys View Post
    it seems to mme that the only solution to my problem is to purchase several rods in different lengths, that way I would never be without the proper rod for the occasion at hand. Of course this went over like a pregnant pole vaulter when I mentioned this to my wife!! Maybe she would like some new fly fishing equipment?
    I like the way you think. Great idea, bad execution. What you need to do is buy several rods in different lengths and weights THEN tell your wife after you've mailed in the warranty cards.

See, you can always count on expert advice on the LRO forum.

Jeff

Default rod choice

I have a 8'6" 5wt winston IM6 rod with a orvis cfo reel that I trully love and use every where from the mountains to the drift boat. I think it is now the wt model but you would never go wrong with the longer rod. If 9 ft is not what you want think about the 8'6" rods. I also have an 8' 4wt that is nice to. I have an 8' cane rod but out of them all I prefer the 8'6" winston. Just my 2cents.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
    Do you fish Mad River Bullwinkle? I am from Wapakoneta, Oh. Caught my first trout on the Mad around 35 yrs. ago.

Neal

Yep.. I get out to the Mad once or twice a month