Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etiquette question

Default Yes it is a broad question

I posted the question because I have only used a guide once. I tipped him about 20%. My expectations are not too high (at least in my estimation) I expect the guide to know where some likely locations are and make the occasional suggestions about how modify what I am doing given the location. Like some others have indicated for me the guide's attitude made the differnce in my tipping level.

I may have the chance to go out to Colorado and get some fishing in and wanted to know what others thought was the norm. I do appraciate the info provided and the variety of viewpoints especially the views posted by guides.
    it is usually better to be conventionally wrong than unconventionally right

when i was doing hiking/photography safari's, i was generally tipped about $20 a person....unless a person was under 16 or so....i didn't set that, it was up to the customer....but what's it worth to get good pictures of bears and other critters? plus to learn about the park, it's history, and see some things you would never see on your own?
    but i never guide fishermen......
    sam
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

Tim Doyle deserves 20% just for making the Trout jump out of
    the water and grab the fly. I actually witnessed this on Little River,
    My Cousin will back up my story.

I tipped a guide 20% last fall on the Manistee in Michigan and we didn't
    catch a fish. He worked his "Butt" off trying to get us on fish however.
    He went over and beyond what he had to.

I typically try and do 20% unless the trip really blows. Those guides really work for their money. Now I will say if it is a owner/guide I do not do that due to they are already getting their pay from the booking. I would just give them a smaller tip if any.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

I find this thread very intersting. I have thought at length, and for some time about trying to start a small guding outfit. i have kinda balked at the idea because I have had my days where i didn't think I could guarantee people fish. I love taking some of my friends out, especailly the ones who do not have the experience in the streams around here and putting them on fish. I have just been hesitant about attempting it.
    Michael Corbin

speckleman5 I am a firm believer in leaving what I love as my hobbie and not my job. I would hate to loose what I do for relaxation to what I have to do to pay6 the bills. Then again reading Byrons reports you can not argue with success.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Very much agree with sentiment that guides cannot control the weather, and if you hit a front with high pressure system, ces't la vie. Attitude is what guides me in tipping. Also, failure to recognize what is wrong is a factor. Example: once hit Roaring Fork when water was low and wading possible. I lost two large fish in a row because my drag was not set right, (at all), and the guide never figured it out. I like guides furnishing hand tied specials for the water we are on. 10-15% about right.