Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Somebody Talk me out of it!

I used the same reel seat from Jann's Netcraft on a 2 wt I built for my brother. Nice little handle for the price.

Somebody Talk me out of it!
    Don't do it.

OK, I tried. Are you going to post pictures of the rods you build?

Jeff

Talk about cant get it off your mind.I had it in my mind to build a Bamboo rod,couldent get it out of my mind for 5 years.I built a Graphit rod,then I rebuilt 4 or 5 Bamboo rods,then I ordered new Bamboo blanks,and built a great little rod,Then,this past Summer,I took a class in WVA,and built my first set of Bamboo blanks,and will finish it this winter.It a Dickerson 6611 3wt.
    Bob

I hope this is not the wrong place to mention this but look up Bill Oyster and look at the classes that he offers. 6 days and all the material supplied with fishing included for a class price. Just do a google search for oyster bamboo rods. If you are wanting to build a rod and ever wanted a quality cane rod along with a vacation this would be it.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Well, I have decided to take the plunge and do it. Now I am trying to decide what to build. I have a 3, 5, 6,7 and 9 weight. Because of where I live (n.MS) most of my fishing is for largemouth. I am planning a couple of salt trips this spring and summer so I think I am going to build an 8 weight. Then I will try a 4 weight to round out my arsenal.

Any thoughts on the Lamiglass Perigree, TFO professional or TFO Ticr blanks for an eight weight. I have a TFO Pro 3 weight and 5 weight and like them for what I use them for but this eight weight will be for big bugs and battling the wind. ANy thoughts?
    The greatest treasure we can leave our children, is the knowledge and love of the great outdoors.....

TICR all the way. Fast enough for flats fishing for reds and still subtle enough for bass. That is just my 2 cents worth.

Well, I have decided to take the plunge and do it.
    They never listen. We tried to talk him out of it. We really did.

Jeff

When he gets addicted, he is going to blame us. He will ask why did you not stop me? We have seen this kind before. Seriously, we want to see pics when you are done. Good luck.

I will post pics unless it is so hideous that it breaks the camera. I won't start my class until late February, but I may not be able to wait. I have been surfing the net and bought a book last week. I have built my wrapping jig and I am working on my drying motor by trying to create a converter for my fly drying wheel.

Hi my name is Mickey (Hi Mickey!) and I am a rod building addict...just practicing.

Thanks for nothing guys!
    The greatest treasure we can leave our children, is the knowledge and love of the great outdoors.....

Done for . . . .