Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a Rod

Sort of in the same boat and budget and stepping up to my first "nice" rod. After testing the Scott G2 felt like I had died and gone to fly fishing heaven!!!

Tom

Mmm, Scott G2. Like butta.

Which one ya got Tom?

James

Jefnless 1 has you on the right track. In picking a rod I think you should first consider where you will be fishing. In the mountains, I would go with a shorter rod in a 4 weight. Bigger streams I would go with an 8 ft 5 weight. ( I do not like rods over 81/2 ft, but that is just me. Accuracy over distance every time, and there is a difference in how accurate a rod casts. If it had to do it all, I would go with the 8ft 5 weight. I've got an older Thomas and Thomas 8 ft 5 weight that has fished all over Tennesse and out west. I may fish other rods, but it is always in the rod case where ever I go. You may also wish to consider which type of line you like. A weight forward line may feel totally different than a double taper on the same rod.

I don't know why the Superfines never get much mention but IMHO the Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 7' 4wt 4pc Full 5.5 is the perfect rod for the the park. Get yourself a CFO (korean are every bit as good as the old english ones, if not better) spool it up with the Orvis T3 Superfine line and you will be a very happy fellow for many years to come.