Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Owning A Fly Shop

Go for it, Jeff. As the son of a Methodist minister who fly-fished his whole life, I can tell you the two go hand in hand really well. When my dad died, the two things I treasured most were his ministerial stoals and his old wicker creel.

Default reply

I have owned a pharmacy and been in business for myself for 28 years.I've done OK.I'm one those people who love fly shops,because I love fly fishing,and I like hanging out at places like LRO,or Blue Ribbon Flies ,or High Country Fly Shop,or Angler fly and fishing shop,these are great places to buy your stuff,you get quality info,you are treated like your somebody...BUT...the folks who own these shops,log major hours in their shops,selling their goods..The fly fishing industry changes constantly.the folks owning fly shops have to try to figure out trends and fads..they have to give you credible advise,it's not easy as it looks.I know that it is not easy as it looks,because I've been there,I'm there now...Being self employed is great,BUT being self employed is mostly roller-coaster like--you are stressed--then depressed---then things go ok--then you feel real good--then there's that stress again..it can get to you...most people I know,who want to be their own boss,who's job was corporate,would not like being their own boss,once they get a taste of trying to get more dollars coming in than going out...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post

My dream after I retire from my current career (in my 29th year so retirement isn't too far off in today's corporate culture) is to be bi-vocational. I 'd like to be part time in some type of ministry and part time working in some type of fly shop / fishing related industry.
    Jeff,

Interested in being a youth minister in a Methodist church? We're looking for one in Maryville.
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

Now that I'm in a small Business/entrepreneurship class in school...man...now I know what it's like to own and run a fly shop...It has it's rewards and it has it's downsides. Hats off to Byron, Paula, Daniel and the LRO crew...'nuff said...

Had my own business once...Can't stand a Schedule C. Wish I had grown the business and skipped corporate, but it is true: The hardest boss you will ever have is yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    but it is true: The hardest boss you will ever have is yourself.
    100% true in a small business.

[quote=lauxier;62583]I have owned a pharmacy and been in business for myself for 28 years.quote]

Lauxier-

Have you ever been in Murray's FlyShop in Edinburg, Virginia? I think you'd get a kick out of it. Harry Murray (maybe best known as the originator or the Mr. Rapidan) is a pharmacist. Go in the front door, and the right side of the store is a pharmacy, and the left side is a flyshop. Got to be one of a kind.

-Milton

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
    Jeff,

Interested in being a youth minister in a Methodist church? We're looking for one in Maryville.
    Charlie,
    You have absolutely no idea how much I'm going to be thinking about your post. I'm even a guitar player too and have worked with the youth band in our church. My wife teaches the high school girls Sunday School class. I'm not working with the youth right now mainly because I play in the praise band and also I have a 13 year old son (you've met Daniel before) who really needs to find his space so I leave the youth group to be his territory.

The only thing keeping me from getting in the car and driving down to talk with your Personnel Committee tomorrow is I have 28.5 years in my job and am so close to a full retirement package that leaving it now would be a huge financial hit on my family. The job is stressful (middle management at a Dow Component company - one of the ten largest in the world) and it is slowly killing me. The job stress and the fact that I feel the Lord is calling me to His service and I need to put it off for another three or four years.

Like I said, you have no idea how much I will be thinking about your church. I will pray that the Lord has somebody in mind and will send him or her to your kids.

Jeff S.

Jeff,

Feel free to write at bartonca@hotmail.com. We're actually not going to be hiring until June but that's still a far cry from 3-4 years.

(And oh, BTW, you're already talking to the Staff/Parish Committee - I'm a member).
    Last edited by nvr2L8; 02-01-2009 at 12:53 AM.
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

Default milton

I know Harry Murray is a pharmacist--have never been to his shop---I would like to go--I've read a couple of Harry's books-He's really passionate about fly fishing.--Where is his shop??