Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Owning A Fly Shop

Quote Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
    I'd be careful about buying a existing business--usually there's deep,dark reason for the shop being for sale.In a business,you can build customer good-faith,but you cannot buy it.Generally it 's better to start small and build.If you are energetic,and have the personality for working in the public,customers will usually seek you out.When you say Bozeman Mt.,fly fisherman get stars in their eyes,could be there's too many fly-shops around Bozeman.
    The owner could be ready to retire or has health issues, there are any number of reasons to sell a business. However, the risk of taking over an existing business is quite real. Assuming the prior shop owner had built an established clientel, a lot of this business is about the personality of the owner. There's no guarantee your personality would be the same and the existing customers may not like you or how you run the business. Not that one is better or worse than another, but it is different and people tend to not like change.

On the other hand, moving into an existing market and trying to build from scratch in a troubled economy is also risky.

The bottom line is it's a lot of work and a significant risk. I always have an admiration for folks like Byron, Paula, and Daniel who start a small business and make it a success.

Jeff

There's no secret to making a million bucks in the FF'N biz, you just start with 3 million

Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    There's no secret to making a million bucks in the FF'N biz, you just start with 3 million

Grumpy
    You ain't right.

Snaildarter,
    Unfortunately, pay is only tax-free if you are in a combat theatre, which, despite what certain threads on this board may suggest, East Tennessee is not. On the other hand, my time working is Knoxville is almost up, and my wife can count on that tax-free pay check rolling in by July.
    As far as owing a fly shop goes: the Marine Corps has dominated my life since I was 17, and when I retire at the ripe old age of 41, I am looking forward to a job that I can leave at the workplace when I go home for the day. I think Byron, Paula and Daniel have great jobs, and do great work, but I would much rather be one of their employees 8 years from now, than attempt to replicate their efforts.
    Life is hard. But it's a lot harder if you're stupid.

BG
    Thank you for your service to our Great Nation.
    Semper Fi
    Dave

Default jeffnles1

Well said....being in business for yourself is,at times ,gratifying.I suppose it will,like every other job,wear you down.LRO flourishes because Byron,Daniel and co. understands the principal of personal service,giving the customer an "UP" place with lots of personality and humor and if that's not enough,they offer answers and information,free!!!as Groucho Marx once told his examining physician.."Doc,you probably don't know what your doing...but..you ACT like you know what your doing..and that's good enough for me...what're ya puttin those gloves on for??

Tedious,
    Thanks to you, and Semper Fi.

Lauxier,
    You wrote "I suppose it will,like every other job,wear you down.LRO flourishes because Byron,Daniel and co. understands the principal of personal service". Exactly. While I think working in a fly shop would be ideal, I wouldn't want to deal with the personal risk and responsibility demanded of successful owners. Byron said in his report today that he can't go fish the Caney b/c he is behind at work. He may very well not be where he is today if he did not make that kind of decision or adopt that kind of attitude. Its the same position most of us are in. We make sacrifices for our profession. Our families make sacrificies for our profession. And when the day comes when I am in a new line of work, and the phone rings at 2:00 in the morning, I want to be able to assume it's not work-related. And if perhaps a hatch is coming off the water, or the gobblers are hot, or the elk are bugling, I'd like the option of taking the day off.
    Life is hard. But it's a lot harder if you're stupid.