Thread: Any Info. on Scuds for the Caney and Clinch

Default Any Info. on Scuds for the Caney and Clinch

Does anyone have any information on using Scuds on the Caney or the Clinch? What size, color and time of year would be good to use on either river?

If I make it by LRO tomorrow, (and I should...) I'll make sure Buzz knows about this thread/question. See if I can get some expert input
    "I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck

I was viewing the link from LRO webstie yesterday showing Scuds and thought that the Sow Bug, pattern would be good to use because it resembles the Zebra Midge, but with a little more visible body in a size 18-22. I wonder if even a Hunchback pattern would produce since it has even more body. I talk to a guy last year fishing the Clinch using a salmon egg on a tiny hook catching trout----I thought with that pattern why not use the Orange Shrimp Scud??

scuds work great on both rivers with up stream wind on long tippet

At LRO today, Buzz said that when scuds die, they turn orange which would make for an easy meal for a trout

Default Orange scuds

That's also when the curved "scud" hooks make sense. Otherwise a swimming scud would be best represented on a normal nymph hook.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Thumbs up Scuds, scuds, scuds

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer3393 View Post
    At LRO today, Buzz said that when scuds die, they turn orange which would make for an easy meal for a trout
    Buzz also said that the scuds he's seen on the Clinch have just a hint of olive to them... mostly a dull grey with a touch of olive. He daid he hasn't fished the Caney enough to offer an opinion but he's thinking he needs to fish it more this year.

Toutslayer -- nice to finally put a name and face together with another board member !!

Paula, Byron, Daniel -- Thanks again for a Sunday tying demo
    "I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck

Default scuds

For the Clinch - olive/gray 16-18

Sowbugs resembling zebra midges? Two exactly opposite insects with exactly opposite lifestyles, shapes, swim patterns, etc.
    Last edited by Flat Fly n; 01-26-2009 at 08:38 AM.
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

Guys just got my lesson in 101 Scuds. Thanks for all the info. I will be in the Smokies during March and plan on going by LRO to stock up on some Scuds. Really getting cabin fever ready to hit the Caney or Clinch.