Thread: Hi from Maryville

Default Hi from Maryville

Hello to all here! I am new to the forum and new to fly fishing too. I hike and backpack the park a lot and always talk to lots of guys fishing on the trail. All those folks I have met along the trail made me want to give it a try. I figured I am out there anyway why let them have all the fun. A friend and I are going to take a class maybe at LRO. You know I would really love to be able to cast without forming knots in the leader. Is that even possible?

Hello and welcome. There are a bunch of good folks on the board. Yes it is possible to cast and not have everything in a knot, sign up for a casting class at LRO and I am sure you'll be doing fine in no time.
    it is usually better to be conventionally wrong than unconventionally right

Welcome to the board. Yes it you can make those great cast. Lessons through LRO and casting seminars at places like troutfest. But the man thing will be practice, practice and more practice.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Crockett,

Don't let them fool you. On a good day, you can cast for hours without knotting up but you get a nice little breeze blowing upstream and that nymph dropper behind a dry fly can wrap your line around your rod tying a new an different knot on each rotation until you just have to cut the whole dadgum thing off, stuff your mangled leader in your cargo pocket and drag out a whole new leader that cost you $6.95 a pair!!!

Oh, sorry. Just hypothetically speaking of course. Most of the time you just cast and catch, cast and catch. As most non fly fishers observe, "It looks so peaceful."

Welcome to fly fishing and to the board. Really, it's lots of fun and you'll never be able to quit once you get started!!!
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

Welcome to the board Crockett!
    Mark <::::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
    Crockett,

Don't let them fool you. On a good day, you can cast for hours without knotting up but you get a nice little breeze blowing upstream and that nymph dropper behind a dry fly can wrap your line around your rod tying a new an different knot on each rotation until you just have to cut the whole dadgum thing off, stuff your mangled leader in your cargo pocket and drag out a whole new leader that cost you $6.95 a pair!!!

Oh, sorry. Just hypothetically speaking of course. Most of the time you just cast and catch, cast and catch. As most non fly fishers observe, "It looks so peaceful."

Welcome to fly fishing and to the board. Really, it's lots of fun and you'll never be able to quit once you get started!!!
    What he said...

Welcome to the board and remember: the very first one you catch, regardless of your casting abilities, will be green and leafy - unless, of course, you go now in which case it will be brown and stick-like.
    "I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck

My background is also in backpacking, and I am signed up to take the LRO class on March 14. Depending on what class you are signed up for, maybe I will see you there.