Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 43 inch brown on 5x in South Holston

Quote Originally Posted by snaildarter View Post
    I apologize if this has already been posted here and I somehow missed it.
    Actually, I think this fish has been posted before!

Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

First off...nvr, that's hilarious!

Second off...I would seriously be scared that that fish would try to eat my foot....Well, not really, but if I saw it swim past my, I'd probably not be able to cast for a few minutes at least!!!

Congrats on the fish!!!
    "I wish I was fishin'..." -me

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan Trout Phenom View Post
    can i ask if you caught it on the egg pattern?
    I did not catch the fish (although gosh, I sure wish I did!). A guy named Travis France did. I don't know him personally.

charlie, that's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. the brown has gotta be a state record.
    Trevor

Current record is 28.75 lbs from the Clinch River. Had this fish been officially weighed it possibly could have been a new record. If TN had a separate record for fly caught fish, I would put money on it beating that record.

However, it says a lot about somebody who chooses to release a fish of that size. I consider myself a C&R fisherman, but I have never had to make a decision regarding a fish of that size.

Didn't I read something recently about how some states are looking at considering using the formula calculated weights in determining record status? Maybe in a recent issue of FlyFisherman Magazine.....

NVR... That is too funny bro...

I must say that it is not always the accomplishments of men that gain my greatest respect; by releasing the fish; I have the utmost respect for Travis!

Second point, always take a camera. You can get a fake fish mount cheaper than a real one and it will look closer to the real deal.

Good Job Travis!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Quote Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
    Current record is 28.75 lbs from the Clinch River. Had this fish been officially weighed it possibly could have been a new record. If TN had a separate record for fly caught fish, I would put money on it beating that record.

However, it says a lot about somebody who chooses to release a fish of that size. I consider myself a C&R fisherman, but I have never had to make a decision regarding a fish of that size.

Didn't I read something recently about how some states are looking at considering using the formula calculated weights in determining record status? Maybe in a recent issue of FlyFisherman Magazine.....
    Fly fisherman mag ran a article about a new method coming out and the possibilities of it being used for claiming records. Had some cool graphs and stats along with it. I forget what the new formula was but im sure i have the magazine around somewhere.
    "I've got to stop wishin, I've got to go fishin"

Default LOL Charlie B

Charlie -

You made me laugh loud!

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

The article is the May 2008 issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine, page 12. The author, Tom Keelin, measured 102 fish (mainly steelhead), and came up with the formula: weight=length x girth(squared)/690.

There is another snippet in the September 2008 issue of a giant brown that is estimated at 41.66 lbs using the above formula. In that same article it states that the IGFA all-tackle record brown trout is 40lb 4oz.

Comparing the fish in this post to the photo in the the September 2008 article, I'd venture a guess that this fish weighs closer to 40lbs, rather than the 25-30 mentioned earlier.

Either way, that's an awesome fish and maybe I'll be that lucky why I hit the Caney in a couple hours!
    "I wish I was fishin'..." -me