Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caney 2/10

Interesting...see any shad floating downstream near the dam?
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Was down by the steps...Good hatches, but couldn't make them out (probably because I don't have those skills yet) I saw one very large may fly and the rest could have been anything. I know that they hit my ORANGE EHC like crazy and my friends Mark's Royal Wulff really well, but I tried a black midge dropper with a red off of that and NOTHING AT ALL. Changed to the white scud and bam! They seemed to be all over dries as well. We only fished brightly colored dries, but I think anything would have worked.

So did this trip get you your first fish on a dry? I'm glad my first fish was on a dry, that takes care of that

You're seriously making me jealous, but this post leads me to believe that if I went out with my usual armament I would have gotten skunked. I think I've got orange and white scuds, but nothing else of color. Looks like I need to get some more flies

EDIT: Oh and, margin rape FTL (for the lose).
    Trey Nichols- jato_jr@yahoo.com

Nice catch. Did you drift any bright buggers through or do you think that would have been a bad choice. I love to drift buggers down searching for bigger fish, but you seem to have the combination that works.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
    So did this trip get you your first fish on a dry? I'm glad my first fish was on a dry, that takes care of that

You're seriously making me jealous, but this post leads me to believe that if I went out with my usual armament I would have gotten skunked. I think I've got orange and white scuds, but nothing else of color. Looks like I need to get some more flies

EDIT: Oh and, margin rape FTL (for the lose).
    Technically, it wasn't my first fish on a dry, but it was my first trout on a dry. I don't have a boat, so it makes it noticably harder IMO. Yep, I always keep a few brightly colored dries and a few brightly colored wet flies in my box.

Quote Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
    Nice catch. Did you drift any bright buggers through or do you think that would have been a bad choice. I love to drift buggers down searching for bigger fish, but you seem to have the combination that works.

Wanted to, but didn't have the time. Maybe next time. At least I caught a trout on a dry. Those smoky mountain steele heads don't count!

I bought some flies this morning so I can be prepared for whatever the Caney has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
    I bought some flies this morning so I can be prepared for whatever the Caney has to offer.

"Go now grasshoper. You cannot stay here"

(just kiddin' with you, Trey)

Haha I got 2 orange EHCs, a few different sizes of hares ear, flashback haresear, and a few scuds. Cost me $25