Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish barf

Default Fish barf

Is it just me, or does anyone else get excited to hold and inspect a glob of fish puke?

Thought everyone would be interested to see the stomach contents of this fish. It was about a 13" rainbow below the weir on the Clinch. I took the pictures the first week of February, one of the weekends they decided to let us fish for a few hours. If I had to guess, I'd say the fish was eating fry (and somebody's night crawler), from the spawn which had occured recently. Maybe some dingus dumped out his minner bucket, but these really look like toddler trout. Also, notice the black fly, midge pupa and scud. He was also snacking on some didymo. I am predicing everyone and their grandma will start tying fry patterns and stack up below the weir, (but I tried that already and it didn't work.)
    Warning: If you don't like stomach pumps or you feel they are unethical, then don't look.

Uh no, that'd be just you. I see no point- in order to inspect the contents of a fish's stomach you have to catch it in the first place, so you know what they're biting on just from that.
    Trey Nichols- jato_jr@yahoo.com

Default huh?

Or... You could catch a fish on a searching pattern (BH pheasant tail), inspect their stomach, tie on specifically what they're eating and catch more fish.

Jamie, was that the day we were down on the Clinch or earlier?

It was prior to me having the pleasure of knowing you, Mr. Matthew. It was the first day that was wadeable after they had been generating 24/7 for nine years straight... Perhaps the fry didn't know what to do in their new, low-water habitat and became easy lunch.
    Did you mention carp??

CARP!!!!! I'm ready with those neon beetles.

Your neon beetles have confirmed my suspicions that you are insane.

Haha...the little bluegills will love them! I need to look at the weather for this weekend. We may be able to hit the park or national forest up?

Jamie, good to see you on here again and great post. You been able to fish much lately?
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Good to hear from you David. I've been trying to get out once a week, to the Clinch or the Holston mostly. Call me if you're gonna be up here. You're back in middle TN, right? And Elrod- this weekend is carp expedition '09, you in??