Thread: steel rod from 1939

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default steel rod from 1939

I have a 10 ft steel rod bin in my family for 70 + years its not in great condition have a 7 wt line wonder if it would be wize to take it out and try a streamer our nypth fish with it till i cayght a few fish with it the put it back away ? any thought folks

It was made to use to catch fish. Personally, I think whomever in your family passed it down to you would be happy you were using it for its intended purpose.

I know a guy who has an old Martin guitar from about the same timeframe who rarely ever plays the thing. The one time I got to play it, the thing sounds like angles singing. Man, it was meant to be played. It's lasted 70 years, a couple more dings and pick scratches won't hurt it one bit.

I think your rod is much the same. As long as it is reasonably sound and you don't leave it sitting on the roof of your car when you drive away (don't ask how I know about such things) you might as well fish with it.

I woud imagine it's heavy especially compared to today's graphite rods but I don't see any harm that would come from giving it a try.

If nothing else, your fishing buddies may think you've lost your mind and won't want to fish anywhere close to you in fear you'll snap. Heck, you may even want to swat at invisible flies and talk to yourself or better yet, have an argument with yourself. That way, you'll have your section of stream all to yourself.

Jeff

I'm not too familiar with the steel rods but I say if it is in good shape, fish it. If the ferrules don't fit good, you may just admire it and leave it alone.

Thumbs up

Go for it! Haul in some big ones!
    Mark <::::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."