Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spey casting?

Question spey casting?

Dear Byron will there be anything regarding spey casting or tube fly tying?
    thanks
    jose

Hi Jose,

Rick Pope who owns Temple Fork will be there and I'm sure he has experience in Spey Casting. But, there is no planned Spey Casting special events. Lefty probably has experience in that method. Maybe we should do that in 2010. There are going to be a lot of people at Troutfest with varied skills.

Byron

Hey Byron.....I am going to be in town for the weekend of Troutfest. If anyone needs some lessons in tree branch casting I would be willing to help. I typically can catch a limb on 2 out of 3 casts (hope that doesn't sound to bragadoshish)(?spelling)....catching limbs is just something that comes natural to me so I'm sure I could help those who otherwise get thier fly in the water and miss the beautiful branches of the GSMNP.

Again, please don't take this as bragging, I'm just very confident in my abilities to get the fly into the trees. BTW, if anyone has any extra flies, I seem to be running low for some reason....

God Bless & Good Fishing
    bob
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

My class will give anglers good information on how to fall down or in without getting killed or hurt. I have vast experience on the subject. Been thinking about a book.

Byron

Default buckeyetrouter I can help

I have similar skills but for this year I have started by casting while in the tree. It cuts down on the steps. Also due to economic conditions I have started to leave the flies off my line. I save money by not leaving flies in the trees and I catch almost as many fish!
    it is usually better to be conventionally wrong than unconventionally right

Default Spey Casting

I'll be there, if people want to try to play around with some spey rods, but the best person in the southeast to talk to would be James Buice, who is the local rep for Scott and William Joseph (as well as others). James is a very accomplished spey caster who spends a lot of time each year steelhead fishing in British Columbia. I can say without reservation that he is the best spey caster in Georgia (out of about three of us. ).

Byron, if you haven't invited James up, you should ask him - I am sure as a rep he'd appreciate knowing it was happening at any rate.

Zach

Hi Zach,

James is invited and I'm fairly sure he is going to be here. I'll call him. He's a good guy and angler. He should have a booth for his product lines but I don't handle that so I don't know. I bet the lady at the top of this page can cast a spey rod. Thanks for your great photos. I look forward to seeing you both at Troutfest. I'm trying to arrange for a helicopter for you and the other press folks to get some photos from above at the event. I would do it but I would be shaking so much my pictures would be blured. Did you buy a D700 yet?

Byron

Byron do you have any spey rods & reels /line at lro?
    I'd like to give that a try.when i go i'll ask you to introduce this gents.
    take care
    jose

Wow. Byron that would be pretty amazing. Hopefully we could get up there early in the morning if possible to get the light cutting across those peaks. One of the highlights of my life is the time I went up with a guy training for his hot air balloon pilot's license. (The FAA actually regulates those balloonists pretty thoroughly). We floated over Nashville; it was amazing.

I am going to give you a call tomorrow to ask about some of the details of the banquet, etc.

Thanks man,
    Zach

PS In all seriousness, I am sure James would be willing to put on a spey casting demo if he was asked. And he's without question the best spey casting teacher you're going to find this far South.