Thread: My latest project and first cane rod.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My latest project and first cane rod.

Here are some pics of the boo rod I have been working on. It is a South Bend I think 323 from what I have been told. I just got the finish on the wraps tonight. I used scarlet nylon with black trims on both sides of the wrap a single on the guide side and 3 on the lower and 2 on the upper of the rod at the end of the foot. Boy those things are hard and mine didn't turn out all that well. I can't wait to get it out in the yard won't happen tomorrow just finished with the finish so better wait and will have one more coat to put on the tip tomorrow anyway. Heres some pics.

One of the guides on the middle section

Stripping guide.

looking up the rod at the stripper. I love that Hopkins and Hollaway stripper, the ring looks so much tougher than others the way it sets up in the guide instead of being exposed and able to pop out.

A little wrap I put a the 20in mark. Now to find a fish that I can use it on!

One of a couple of the ferrule wraps, decided the red would be too much there so I flipped the colors.

This has been so much fun. I want another now! Thanks so much to all that have helped me along you guys have been great.

STU
    CPR= catch, photo, & release!

Default Good Job Stu

Hey Stu, you did a fine job on your first bamboo and you should be proud of it. I thought you might like that Perma gloss finish, it goes on really well and it does give it a fine look.
    You are right, the H&H ring guides do stand up nice and high and they do have a good look to them. the H&H strippers are the same type used on the Sage rods. I love the cradled design of them and often use the Mildrum guides on a lot of bamboo. They are very similar to the H&H guides.

You have one there that will bring some excellent memories to you every time you string it up and land a nice fish with it. I like the hand rubbed finish on the boo too.

I know she will serve you well on the SoHo. Looking forward to getting up there and bending some grass with you soon.

Leo

Nice work. GMREEVES will like this post. He is an excellent source of info on cane if you need any advice. I am sure there are others on this board also, but I just know this guy personally. Great job, can't wait to see some pics of your catches on this.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Looks good Stuart! I really like the color scheme. I'm sure you are proud of it. Thanks for sharing the finished product. You will enjoy that one for years. Now for the next one . . .