Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more 4x4's in Tellico

From what I coould understand its just a temporary closing.....
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Check out my gallery.....
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/

Default Seems reasonable

Seems reasonable to me. If the off-road vehicles are damaging the streams thru siltation, I'm all for closing the off-road trails. Protect the streams, protect the brookies.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
    Seems reasonable to me. If the off-road vehicles are damaging the streams thru siltation, I'm all for closing the off-road trails. Protect the streams, protect the brookies.

sb
    how many man hours have you put in to improve the stream and the brookies .if you can match the hours and equipment cost as the 4 wheeler have for the use and maintance of these trails for years, maybe you can have your way. but until join ,the bait fish and anti group trout unlimited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an off-roader and a TU member. I didn't do anything with the Tellico but did invest a lot of time and money to build a number of trails for four wheelers and stream restoration at Hawk Creek in SE KY. Even with the Tread Lightly programs, marked trails and roadways, it took only about three years for the stream to be totally destroyed by the silt accumulation from the small groups seeking the off road thrills and driving through the stream bottoms and off the marked trails. The KDFW finally gave up as well with their stocking programs for Hawk Creek. Nature is a delicate balance, but is unfortunate that a small group doesn't want to play by the rules and everyone else must suffer.

We need to look at what we want to leave for our kids and grandkids.
    I think the native Americans had it right:
    "Leave only footprints."

The FS was forced to close the trails since the Tellico and tributarires were not complying with water quality standards. It is my understanding that TU sought the FS to comply with goven,emt standards that the FS was already obligated to satisfy.

I know that ORV users spent money and time in mainatining trails in Tellico. However, it wasn't nearly enough. Sedimination poured into the Tellico watershed at an increasing and alarming rate. And, the FS does not have enough money to maintain these trails and still comply with water quality standards.

The reality is the FS had to temporarily close these streams to comply with water quality standards.

I agree, "Great Work TU". I personally would like to see these trails permanently closed. Just because many hours of work are put in and many dollars are spent doesnt mean we should allow these trails to slowly destroy a beautiful river and fishery. If they can be properly maintained, then so be it.

I talked to a fisheries biologist last night who had done some water quality & population studies there last fall.

He had a lot of information for me, as well as a lot of opinions on what had happened.

His main opinion was that the water quality problem is more the product of oil leaks, transmission & drivetrain failures, & busted radiator hoses rather than sediment run-off.