Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: check out that tail!

Default check out that tail!

The scorps are out! found this one along with four others on a ridge. Under rocks not out in the open. neat little buggers. keep an eye on your hands!

where was this, geographically?
    Trevor

On the top of chestnut ridge trail. at the first really sharp bend, a nice gathering of rocks lines the ridge. Very exposed setting but damp under rocks and logs.

I don't think I'd put my finger that close to the little guy!

knucklehead, are you talking about the two or three shelves of rocks as you come into the bend? If so, saw a very nice specimen of a copperhead sunning itself a couple of years ago in the same spot.

Default Impressive.

Learn something new everyday.

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/t...e/scorpion.htm

If you read the aritcle I found myself saying the same thing "I think your in the wrong state!"

~Brett

Cool, informative article. I grew up in North Georgia, and we used to catch those things near Rising Fawn. I'd always suspected the sting to be more severe than what's indicated in the article. I'd say I can handle a honey bee sting, though I bet it'd be pretty chilling to see it happen. Mild as that is and in spite of how cool they are, they give me the creeps.

kytroutman, yes. the first switchback. very snakey rock layers. Hoping to find a snake there sooner or later. That whole ridge must be loaded with scorpions. went on down the trail a few hundred yards, found some more loose rocks and surprise surprise....scorpions! even found one jr. it was about a tenth of the adult's size.

anyone ever been stung by a scorpion?

If you want to see snakes come to Ft Knox. Wish I had got some pictures, last week, I ran into about a dozen Hog Nosed snakes here on Post. I think they are the coolest snakes. Most ran throughg their whole threat display puffing themselves up an flaring their necks and then playing dead. My First Sergeant did'nt think it was too cool though.

Yesterday there was an eastern king snake on one of the ranges just finishing a breakfast of copperhead. The little sulphur yella tail was just slidding down as I walked up. He must have found some young ones. Gorgeous specimen; though coal black with a bright white chain pattern down his back.

The pic of the scorpion is diconcerting though. Thought I had left them things behind at Ft Hood. Nothing like checking your boots and fart sack any time they're left unattended. Hopefully the ones up there in the smokies stick with the rocks and rotten logs.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll just use the force to lift the rocks for me!
    Mark <::::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."