Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caney Scouring

I'm doing some research on hatches in Middle Tennessee and then I'm going to start tying.

Default Alternative to the Caney and Clinch

Guys I too wonder if I will ever get to fish the Caney this year-----so I found the cure for my longing to wade and fish for trout on the Caney---fly fishing for super size bream in one the local lakes in my home town. I use an 8 ft. Pelican boat with a Minn Kota trolling motor I bought at Academy Sports two years ago to get in those small and out of the way places on the lake. I have been having a blast catching bream in the 12 to 14 oz. range on some of the local lakes. I have caught most of the larger ones on a black and red nat in the nymph style. Most have come from the edge of weed beds about 2 to 3 ft. deep---making tight loop cast in tiny openings and watching my indicator for a super fight using 5X leader-----by the way I started using the Reconnect Leader by Scientific Angler, I really like this leader because it locks and unlocks the line to the leader with a simple twist, and the best part is you can use the connector as your indicator---really nice because it float high in the water. The past 3 weeks have been great for me with the fly rod.

The river is 10 feet higher right now than with 6,900 cfs, 2 generators. WOW! And the lake is still rising.....

Flood watch posted for the area tomorrow...if we get even a part of the rain they're forecasting things will get interesting...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Anyone want to toss in money to buy thousands of tarps to cover the Caney from rain? If it means getting on the water faster, I'm down
    Trey Nichols- jato_jr@yahoo.com

ahh guys, July will be here before you know it I have a list of #'s just begging to be called when the water shut's off, course, i'll have to take a week or two to figure it out

Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    ahh guys, July will be here before you know it I have a list of #'s just begging to be called when the water shut's off, course, i'll have to take a week or two to figure it out

Grumpy
    Grumpy, if you need help figuring it out let me know...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

The Trout Zone Blog

As o f yesterday, they had 5 of the 8 floodgates open

Grumpy

Grumpy, based on past events, what do you think this will do to the fishery?

The Trout Zone Blog

Default Clinch Musings

Sorry to talk about the Clinch rather than the Caney, Plateau. I think it was 1998 that we had loads of rain. They blasted the Clinch for ~ 3 weeks at 27,000 + cfs. The Sulphurs were gone after that, not sure that they have come back to pre 98 numbers even now. I hope that doesn't happen this season. Should be right in the middle of the Sulphur hatch, though I have not been out to fish it. Any of you having a good time with the Sulphurs prior to the rain?
    Best,
    John