Thread: SoHo generation

Default SoHo generation

I'm planning a trip to the SoHo in mid June, and have been following the generation there for a couple of months. I see that they are generating 24 hrs now. How much of this will it take to screw up the Sulphur hatch? I've never fished the SoHo before, so I have no past experience to rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    I'm planning a trip to the SoHo in mid June, and have been following the generation there for a couple of months. I see that they are generating 24 hrs now. How much of this will it take to screw up the Sulphur hatch? I've never fished the SoHo before, so I have no past experience to rely on.
    They wouldn't be around then anyway. There should still be plenty of hatches, the trick will be figuring out what each fish is rising on. 2 fish next to each other can be on different species of flies up there. This is assuming you are dry fly fishing. If not get some split-case nymphs (18s and 20s); I have torn them up when there are no rises with them.

Now I'm confused. The hatch charts for the South Holston indicate sulphurs during June. What will be hatching in your experience. I am a committed dry fly fisherman. Thanks for the reply.

Default Sulphurs in June

I fished the SoHo last June and there was a very good sulphur hatch. Had a ball fishing nymphs in the morning and dries in the afternoon.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Sulphurs on SoHo appears with regularity between aprox April 15 all the way to November.

The late Carl Richards even saw some in the winter.

I have been fishing it at least once or twice a week and havnt seen but a few sulfers so far.....
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Check out my gallery.....
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/

you may even see a few strays in december and january. I've seen a few during the winter up near the wier.
    "I've got to stop wishin, I've got to go fishin"

The hatch should be fine. Your only potential trouble will be if we get a bunch more rain and they decide to keep generating. If that is the case, you can still expect good hatches but will need a boat to get to the fish...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Can anyone recommend some free flowing streams in the area in case the river masters decide to unlease the water and sweep the fly fishers from the river?