Thread: Raven Fork C&R in Cherokee

Default Raven Fork C&R in Cherokee

Just curious if anyone has fished the Cherokee Catch and Relase section of Raven Fork recently? My buddy and I are headed to Deep Creek on Wednesday and we had thought about stopping and trying Raven Fork before heading over to Bryson City. We have heard some good things about Raven Fork, but were wondering if the recent heavy rains had changed fishing conditions?

Drove by there yesterday, the water was up and it was raining to beat the band.

Marvin, thanks for the update. Good to hear the smokys are getting rain this year.

That stream fishes really well during higher water so if it is still up some it would probably be worth trying...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Glad to see someone posted this link because I was going to request information for this exact Place.

Plan to be fishing the Trophy area next week. Does anyone have any fly pattern recommendations or sections of the river they would recommend. I understand its only 2.5 miles so I am sure any of this area would be good fishing but wondering if anyone has a favority area.

No sure if beads or drys would be the best patterns. Anyone have any size and pattern information would be appricated. I guess I am not that much of a purist because I will use whatever is catching trout the best. LOL

Thanks for any helpful information.

Mac,
    we hope to try C&R Raven's Fork on wednesday of this week, but then will head to fish backcountry until next monday. Once we get back, I will post a reply to let you know how it went and what we had luck on, hopefully even have some pictures if I can figure out the camera and loading the images.

I am hoping they will be interested in dry flies, but we will see.

If no on the dries pitch a big muddler minnow with a split shot right on the nose, deadly in that trophy section FYI
    If it swims throw a fly at it!

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
    "Healing Those Who Serve"

Use nymphs that match whatever bugs are in the water currently and start adding split shot until you are either catching fish or occasionally hanging on the bottom... Fish will rise during a good hatch but you will generally increase your odds there by fishing subsurface...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog