Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next fly line purchase?

If you can still find them, how about the braided leader loop connector? I think Rio sells them. Orvis came up with it, but I do not see them in their catalog. I've used them extensively. I always put a drop of superglue right were the tip of the line met the braided loop since I just didn't fully trust the little sleeve.

Duh. I should have checked LRO first. LRO sells the Rio connectors. A 4 pack for six bucks. Cheaper than a new line.

I never was a fan of those. They cast really awkward.
    Trey Nichols- jato_jr@yahoo.com

Default use a mono loop

Dude, use the mono loop, thats definitely the way to go. But, back to your original question, I really like the sharkskin line. I got the trout taper, it is awesome, it casts smooth and shoots far. I was skeptical about their claims to float high and mend easier but it is all true. The only draw back is it can burn a little if you are stripping a streamer or hook a biggin' that runs on you
    Neil

Remember......I'm and idiot

I really like Dave Whitlock's Zap-A-Gap method of attaching either the leader directly or a mono loop. You basically thread the mono into the tip of the line and glue it permantly. The line/leader junction is perfectly smooth and will run in/out of the guides easily. I find this important with our close-quarters style of fishing as the end of the line passes the tiptop quite frequently. Just google it or look on Flyfisherman Magazine's website. I have found this to be a very strong attachment.
    Jed

I have switched all my lines over to the Orvis Easy Mend, and the first thing I do is cut the loop off, and then nail knot a mono loop on. I think you will be pleased, and it will not let you down.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
    I would just cut the existing loop off and have a fly shop put a mono loop on the end for you. If it is put on with a good nail knot, it should be just fine...

My advice would be exactly what Plateau Angler said. I did this on my last line and it worked GREAT!
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

The super glue I put on it seemed to help, but once it's beyond repair I will do a mono loop. One question. Where should I buy it? And what test do you recommend?
    Trey Nichols- jato_jr@yahoo.com

Default Mono loops

If you go to a mono loop use 30 lb. test. The Perfection loop is absolutely the way to go. Any shop where you buy your line should do it for you. The only problem with loops is that they make a "hinge" point. I have gone to tying my own leaders using a nail knot to the fly line and blood knots for the leader with a surgeon's knot for the tippet. Besides not getting a loop caught in my front guide, this system really gets flies to turn over. It has made a huge difference in my casting.
    To Miss Nancy - she hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Sometimes with a fairly new or inexperienced caster, the nailknot to fly line may not be the best system if they are messing up the leader frequently, i like that for personal use myself & normally don't have to change a leader that often(which is cutting the head out of your line), then again, i'm human & can destroy a leader with the best of them

Grumpy