Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small stream indicator advice

I had the same problem with the thingamabobbers. They slipped extremely bad but they casted better then any indicator I have ever used. I was wondering if anyone has tried popping out that metal ring and just letting the plastic connect with the line. It seems like that would help the slipping.

I wish that they would make thingamabobbers with a rubber o-ring instead of that metal junk. If you want to make it work better, build up the hole in the metal ring with aquaseal or something similar so they hole diameter is much less. The aquaseal gives the leader a better surface to grip onto... Tiny rubberbands work well also, such as the ones from an orthodontist...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I just purchased the little foam balls where the rubber band is used to keep the indicator in place, and I was very impressed. They don't cast quite as well as the Thingamabobbers, but they stayed put with absolutely no slippage and you could even move it up and down the tippet with ease.

I will try the aquaseal on the Thingamabobbers. I did try one of the rubber bands from the other indicators I just got and that didn't work well, but I feel if I get a little larger rubber band piece I will be in business.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." ~Unknown~

Default Orvis strike putty or watch the line for me.

I have tried a few and always go back to strike putty by orvis. I have had this putty from them for ten years and still use it. Some times it will sink but I roll it into a ball again and all if fine. I also have noticed that a small amount of putty affects my casting none at all. I agree with the poster about watching your line. Even when I use the putty I often find myself checking the line for comfirmation. Sometimes the line lets you see if you are dragging bottom or something is nipping at the fly...then again Isometimes miss read my line. If using a indicator, I like what will not move on my leader.

I am with Hans...reading the book "Flyfishing Through a Midlife Crisis" the author remarked that one of his sons asked him about fishing with indicators and said what is the difference between that and using a cork and baid....in the Park either high stick through the runs or just watch the end of your flyline....it will tell you what you need to know....learned this technique out of necessity one spring trip....

I fish in different small streams than you do. However, I have had way too many brookies eat my yarn, strike my twist-ons, etc., over the years. Once the season warms to caddis warmth, and even before, I use a stimulator, or other, large fly as an indicator. And, my "indicator" has caught more than a few fish.

- David
    www.UpperMidwestFlyFishing.com - from spring creeks to smallies to steelhead.