Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping + Fishing

Default Camping + Fishing

To my brothers and sisters of the board:

My dad and a friend of his are planning on coming up from Georgia sometime in September. They want me to take them trout fishing. They also want to chuck salmon eggs and Rapalas. Now, being the only fly fisherman in the family, I am trying to be as accomodating as possible. I'm no guide by any stretch, but I figured I could put them on some fish. Maybe, just maybe, I can convert them to the ways of the long-rod. We need a place to camp, preferably on the water where they can catch a few "big enough to eat". (I've showed them pictures of some of the fish I have caught in the park. They giggled and asked me if I was using the fish as bait.)

Suggestions?
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."~Henry David Thoreau

Default Lots of Options

Here are three that come to mind:
    1) Snowbird Creek in NC. The lower sections are stocked. There are campsites all along the stocked areas and you can hike into some great wild trout water above the stocked sections.

2) Tellico and/or Citico Creek. Again there are some good stocked waters plus wild areas above. Lots of places to camp, easily accessible.

3) Nantahala above the powerhouse below the lake. This section is DH for part of the year and has some good fish. I have not been there but it looks like there are several camping options:
    http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Nantahala/nantfac.html

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

Unless things have changed since last year, there is no water at the North River campground,otherwise it is a nice place.

Default Things have definitely changed (Thankfully!)

I haven't been down there this year (I believe Grumpy has), but I do know the water has come up. Its been at or above the historical averages for the last 3 months. In fact, right now, the water is 3x what it was in 2007.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb...te_no=03518500

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

I may have not made myself clear. The North River campground does not have a water pump anymore, so you have to bring your own water.

Greenie!

May I suggest Norris Dam State Park. You have access to the Clinch in several spots and the lake too...

-You can stay in the rustic cabins or at one of several campgrounds.

*Within an hour or so of several other Rivers...

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/p...am/index.shtml
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I would go with the Tellico/North River area. Can't beat that area even if you don't catch 1 fish.

Tellico and Citico are definite musts to camp at. It will be good for the fishing they want to do, also a good place to try a fly rod due to the fact you don't have to make any long casts. They also have tons of camping spots and they will definitely catch fish being so close to the hatchery. Just remember to get the specific pass to fish there.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." ~Unknown~

Thanks for all the info guys.

I've never fished the Tellico area. I'll have to do some 'studying up'.

This is what this message board is here for. Hats off to you guys.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."~Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    I may have not made myself clear. The North River campground does not have a water pump anymore, so you have to bring your own water.
    yep, someone sabotaged the well Tellico is a beautiful area & the river itself holds some lunkers for the spin guys. I believe the regs are still in effect(September), be sure to check them on TWRA's website.

Grumpy