Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caney Fork hatches

I have seen caddis more than any other. I have heard of prolific blue winged and other mayflies from the ballfields upstream several miles in March/April, never have seen it myself, but hear stories of fish in the mid 20's rising for these flies. No boat, so I don't know.

Caddis come off about year round but much more in Late September through November.

One hatch I rarely see mentioned is the black ant hatch in August or early September. I have seen them cover the entire surface of the caney over a two week period. They are seen in the greatest numbers at dusk. Tiny black things around a size 26 but with the numbers a 20-24 does just fine. Worth the effort to have half a dozen in each size from 20 down. When it happens nothing else works and you can pick your fish.

I have seen ant hatches at other times as well, but never as strong as in august.

Silvercreek -

The PM's had to be disabled but I rec'd a "friends invitation." Didn't know how that worked (I have no friends!)Talk to you soon

sb
    Last edited by Stonefly; 06-17-2009 at 08:46 AM.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Thanks Gutshot. I used to fish behind the Bonnel plant in the late 80's until the security guards ran me off. There were some big fish there, and once and only once I got into a caddis hatch and had some really great fishing to rising trout. Thanks again.