Any Interest?: Townsend Fly Tiers (informal) Club
The other day when talking to Bill Hey at LRO he let me in on an idea that he had. He was interested in putting together an informal group that would meet once a month or so (primarily in the Fall/Winter - but could work year round potentially, as well). The group would be a fly tiers get-together where we would each bring our own supplies and tie flies together. The thought would be that we could swap techniques, patterns, materials and stories. It would be open to everyone including folks just getting started. We wouldn't have strict membership, anyone could come whenever they could make it, even if they were in from out of town (or out of state).
A few additional ideas would be that we could each take turns demonstrating how to tie our "secret" patterns, have fly swaps, or even have friendly competitions like blindfolded-woolly-bugger-tying and ugliest-fly-to-catch-a-fish (among others). I ran the idea by Byron and he is willing to let us use the training room at LRO, if we are interested (if we could do it during business hrs - otherwise we might have to make other arrangements on a location).
Let me know on this thread if:
- you would be interested in being part of such a group, and if so,
- how often you would like to meet (once a month, etc),
- if you think it should be just a seasonal thing (Oct-Mar), or year round
- what would be your preference for meeting time (ie Saturday or Sunday Mornings or afternoons, or other times), and
- any additional ideas to get the most out of the meetings/get-togethers
"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."