Thread: Narrows of the Harpeth 6/17

Default Narrows of the Harpeth 6/17

Sneaked out of work Friday afternoon and floated the Narrows of the Harpeth. I decided to leave the spinning rod alone and try to catch some small mouth on the fly. Had a few hook ups, but I am having a hard time with the 6wt, all I have used the past 2 years is my 3wt fishing mountian streams. Needless to say I brought none of them to hand, But my buddy was spin fishing with a bandit 200 baby bass and caught 7 nice smalies and one large drum. It's hard to keep that fly rod out, but I didn't give in. I had several gar hit my streamer, I think am going to tie some of the rope streams before my next trip. Never tried to catch a gar on a fly, But something about a 3' fish on a flyrod makes me want to try, Any suggestions for Gar?

Don't give up on the fly rod for the smallies. Since your buddy was catching them on a crankbait, you must have been fishing pretty deep.
    Heavy lead eye Clousers fished on a long leader or a wiggle minnow fished with a sinking line generally works well in those situations.

I was planing on using my sink tip, but left it in the back of my truck. That is what if figured I was doing wrong, tried to let the fly sink on its own, but the current just swung the fly. I will be better prepared next time.