Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North River

Default North River

I'm thinking about heading to the North River tomorrow since Tellico is closed on Thursdays and Fridays. Once we hit Tellico Plains, we head down 165...what road will lead us to the North River? To my understanding there are wild Brookies in the North, right? Is the Bald River fishing better?

Thanks in advance

Once you hit Tell plains you take a right following signs for the Cherohala Skyway. Go through Telliquah area and get into the national forest. After several miles along the river you will take a right following signs for the Tellico river. The raod will wind for several more miles and you will pass Turkey creek, then you will see signs for the North river, which will be off to your right. Good luck.

If you are driving on the road along the Tellico River going upstream, the North River and the road that goes along it will be on your right. If you hit a little community with a store, you've gone too far.

Can't believe I said that. The North River is on your left.

If you are following the Tellico River upstream North River will be on the LEFT. I repeat on the LEFT. Get a Delorme Atlas. It is even on the North Carolina Delorme.

Hey guys the North River is to the left as you're heading upstream along the Tellico River Also, the road alongside the North eventaully leads to the Skyway so you don't have to backtrack if you fish the headwaters of the North.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
    Also, the road alongside the North eventaully leads to the Skyway so you don't have to backtrack if you fish the headwaters of the North.

Neal
    Neal, have you ever gone under the skyway on north river road and taken a left at the T? A map really does me no good up there. I almost got lost looking for wolf-laurel hunter camp.

I have taken a left there. Takes you to one of the best streams in the southeast.

Granny Knot, I haven't been on the other side of the Skyway from the North River Rd. junction. I am looking at the National Geographic map for that region (#781) and once you cross the Skyway it becomes FR# 81 which leads to the headwaters of Santeetlah Creek, then you take a left on 81F to go to Wolf laurel hunt camp. Several of those roads dead end, so I can see how you would get turned around on the NC side of the Skyway.

Neal

What's the road there like now? It used to be just short of needing a 4x4.